15 - Past

(Daejeon, 1 1/2 Years Prior)

The smell of coffee lingered in the air as Seokjin stepped closer to the cafe. It was his lunch break. The cafe he was headed towards was new, only opening the week before. Seokjin noticed it on his way to work one day, making a mental note to check it out sometime during one of his breaks. It wasn't far from his office. A ten minute walk, and he was stepping through the entrance.

"Welcome!" A voice called out.

He smiled, breathing in the comforting smell of ground coffee beans. He made his way to the front counter, taking a glance at the menu before asking for the cashier's opinion on a drink. She gladly offered her thoughts on the menu, pointing out her two favorite drinks. Seokjin pondered for a moment. He carefully chose between the two beverages, picking the one that sounded the most appealing at the moment.

After paying, Seokjin turned to face the rest of the cafe. He spotted a small cozy booth tucked in the corner of the shop. He meandered to the booth, plopping down on the cushioned bench, sighing in relief as he took off the weight on his feet. Underneath the table, Seokjin rolled his ankles, stretching out his aching muscles and bones.

"Here you go, Mr. Kim."

A steaming cup of coffee was placed in front of Seokjin. After it, a small piece of cake was set next to it. He looked up from the table, ready to tell the employee that he didn't order the cake.

"Don't worry about it, sir. You look like you need a pick-me-up."

"Ah, well thank you-" he glanced down at her badge. "ChoHee. But, may I ask, how do you know my name? I don't remember saying anything earlier."

The girl—ChoHee—lowered her head in slight embarrassment.

"Everyone knows you in Daejeon, Mr. Kim. You're the CEO of one of the biggest marketing companies in South Korea. Plus, your company helped in getting this place started. You're quite famous."

Seokjin avoided her shy gaze. Ah, he thought, I guess I hadn't realized how popular I am. He smiled, thanking her for her answer. Not wanting to impose any longer, ChoHee walked back to the register, a small skip in her step. Seokjin chuckled to himself, turning to his coffee and cake.

The quiet atmosphere let Seokjin fall into a peaceful state. He stared out the window beside him, watching as a multitude of people walked past. It was a nice day, not too hot. Perfect for a stroll around the city. Seokjin let his thoughts wander as he observed the outside world. He wondered what it would be like to have a family of his own, watching a young couple walk past with a small stroller. He smiled at the thought.

Seokjin glanced down at his cup of coffee, then his watch. He needed to make his way back to the office soon. He had a meeting with a smaller company wanting to propose a few ideas for marketing strategies. If he was late, he knew his assistant would be on his tail. The man he had hired for the job was dedicated, and if there was one thing that he hated most, it was tardiness. Though, Seokjin couldn't complain as he, too, was irritated when an employee stepped into his office late.

Just as Seokjin was about to pick up his cup to finish what was left of the tasty drink, he paused. He made sure not to bump the table as he leaned closer to get a better look at what he saw. The liquid was moving. Ripples appeared from the center of the cup. His brows furrowed, wondering what was making his coffee move like that until he felt it. The ground shook lightly. Seokjin quickly sat up, his eyes wide.

An earthquake? The shaking grew larger, eventually rattling the porcelain cup against the wooden table. Seokjin moved to stand before something caught his eye just outside the window. Smoke poured from the windows of a nearby building. He stepped closer to the glass, wobbling slightly as the ground continued to shake harder and harder.