17 - Answers

"We stop here. It's too risky to continue in the trucks."

You and Jungkook, the drivers, pulled off in opposite directions. The trucks are parked as far off the road as possible, making it harder for them to be found. You, Namjoon, Yoongi, and Hoseok grabbed your gear from the bed once you shut it off. Your bag was heavy, but the weight of sneaking into something unknown pressed your shoulders down more.

You knew it was going to be hard finding another way in beside the main gate, but with eight people searching the parameters, you were able to find an escape hole fairly quickly. What surprised you was that it had not been covered or filled back in. A hint that wherever it led to is hidden away from the rest of the city. The hole was clearly dug from the inside out, very little dirt around it, so whomever had dug it did not want to stay confined any longer. A shiver ran down your spine at the thought of what could be happening on the other side. Whatever it is, you hoped to find your answers.

The wall wasn't very deep into the ground, only a couple inches. The hole was large enough for one person at a time to crawl underneath. Taehyung stepped forward, handing Jimin his bag before crawling through to the other side, reaching his hand back underneath for the backpack. Jimin follows Taehyung, handing his back to the nearest person. It doesn't take long for all of you to reach the other side. Though, as you crawled through, your arm caught something at the bottom of the wall. You looked back to see a few metal bits sticking out of the wall. Though they were small, your arm stung like you had been slashed with a knife blade. Hoseok was quick to stand at your side, pulling out the first aid kit and bandaging your arm after hearing you hiss from the pain.

Finally, you take in your surroundings. You found yourself in another part of the small grove of trees you had just been in. No wonder why the hole hadn't been covered up. The eight of you make your way through the trees, carefully watching for any sign of life. The sounds of street life eventually made its way to your ears. You were nearing the main city and you needed to find somewhere to hide. To your right, a large white building caught your eye. It was tucked back slightly from the rest of the city. Not enough to be hidden, but enough to not raise much suspicion.

"There," you point out to the boys.

You crept your way closer to the building as quietly as possible. You hoped that there weren't any open windows, and to your luck, there weren't any windows at all. You stared at the building in confusion. What was inside that made it important to not have windows to the outside? Namjoon guided the eight of you to the back door of the building. Of course, you quietly discussed the situation, debating on taking the risk of an alarm setting off or being seen.

The latter was what you were more afraid of. You stuck out like a sore thumb compared to what you could see on the streets of Seoul. A group of eight, dressed in tattered clothing with matted hair and dirty skin. You probably smelled just like the biters from how long you've been without proper hygiene. Those walking along the streets looked taken care of. They didn't have to worry about the next time they'd be able to bathe or find enough food. You longed for the feeling of hot water against your skin again. To rid yourself of the dirt and the dried blood that caked your body.

Holding your blades in front of you, Namjoon reaches to open the door. Unlocked. It was almost too easy to enter, especially when none of you heard any type of alarm. You walked the corridors of the building. Closed doors lined the bare white halls, a couple on each side There were windows on each of the doors but the rooms were too dark to see anything clearly. The further you walked into the building, the smell of cleaning products became stronger. And so did the screams. A particularly painful one near the group sent shivers through your body. Your feet—without your permission—led you closer to the sound, dragging you down another long corridor. The boys followed behind you. Faint grunts and groans coming from behind the door you were approaching made you disgusted. Without context, it sounded like someone was