10 - Not your fault

The drive home was quiet. Although you were snuggled up against Namjoon, there was no exchange in words. Jimin’s words from a few days prior left everyone thinking about what was really going on.

    Jimin and Hoseok gathered everyone in the main meeting room the day after you were reunited. They explained everything that they had realized, Namjoon throwing his input when it was necessary. There was a big discussion about what the three boys talked about. Of course, there were several of the other men that grew angry at what information they had to give. For the rest of that day, it was silent among the men.

Now, for the two days you have traveled, there had barely been any conversation between the vehicles. Jimin had managed to get everyone back on track and heading home, but the others were reluctant to follow his orders.

    Taehyung decided to guide the trucks back to The Sanctuary, letting Jimin get some rest. He seemed to have been lost in his own thoughts as he focused on the icy roads ahead. You weren’t sure what he was thinking about, but the stern look on his face made you worried.

    You tore your focus away from Taehyung’s reflection in the rearview mirror and glanced back out the window. The trees passed by slowly. You could have counted how many trees there were along the side of the road if you had the willpower.

Namjoon squeezed your hand. His forehead creased lightly as he raised his brows in question. He didn’t have to speak for you to know what he was asking you. Are you okay? It had been his question since you woke up after Yoongi had brought you back. You were glad he was concerned, but he should have already known the answer by now. You squeezed his hand in return as a light tipped smile danced across your lips.

“Shit.”

The quietness of the truck—and your moment with Namjoon—was broken by Taehyung’s outburst. He slammed on the brakes before turning to the sleeping boy next to him.

“Jimin, get up.”

You looked out the front windshield, jaw dropped in slight horror. Hoseok and Namjoon gasped beside you.

The gate had been torn down.

Jimin quietly grumbled as he stretched in his seat. The moment he opened his eyes, his arms dropped from their placement in the air. He didn’t hesitate to throw himself out the passenger door. Taehyung followed behind him in the truck, not completely sure what to do. Once he drove up to the wall, he stopped the truck and jumped out of the vehicle to find Jimin.

“C’mon, let’s go,” Hoseok mumbled.

You stepped on the large metal gate laying on the snow. From the way it had landed, you knew that this was not from a large group of biters. Your heart pounded against your ribcage as you grew anxious for what you were about to see. You felt a hand on your shoulder before a gun was thrusted into your chest. You turned to see Seokjin staring at you.

“Take this. Who knows what’ll happen.”

You quietly thank him, tucking the weapon in the waist of your pants, before turning back to the entrance. Closing your eyes, you took a deep breath before stepping closer into the abandoned community. You stumbled over your feet once you saw the scene before you.

It wasn’t pretty. There clearly had been a fight as blood stained the white ground. It was all along the streets, bloody handprints covering houses and street signs. The farther you looked down roads, the more bodies you could see on the ground. Some were familiar faces. Kind and caring men and women that you had met during your stay. Others were completely foreign to you, most likely from whatever sick group of people had broken in. You scanned the area further. A dark object lying abandoned on the street caught your eye. Your vision blurred as you slowly walked to the dirty stuffed bear lying on the ground. You picked it up. The dark red bow that had been wrapped neatly around the bear’s neck had now been torn, barely hanging on by a thread. It was missing an eye, and it had a hole on the side of one of the legs.