12 - The gazebo

“Watch out!”

One right after the other, biters tried their turn to make a meal out of you and the boys. You weren’t sure how you managed to get yourself into this much trouble. Jimin suggested to head into the city to get a few items for the house, stepping into several stores to find the objects. Most of the rest is a blur to you. At some point, you got caught carefully walking past a large hoard, finally getting trapped in a dead ended street.

The sickening crunch of the weapons coming in contact with the biters disturbed you. No matter how long you’ve had to deal with them or how many you’ve taken care of, that sound will always make you feel slightly nauseous.

You were lucky. Since you had stayed at The Sanctuary, you were able to train everyone enough to keep their stamina up. It proved to be helpful now that you had to fight a large hoard of biters. Although, you started to feel your energy deplete. The more you had to fight through the crowd, the more you had to be aware of every little detail surrounding you.

“Y/N!”

You turn to the voice as you wiggled your knife out of a biter’s skull. Your eyes widen.
Time seemed to slow as you watched the scene before you. Namjoon stood in front of a biter, his arm held captive by the creature. You watch as he struggles in its abnormally strong grip. The biter opens its mangled jaw, clenching down near the junction between his neck and shoulder. Its fingers tear Namjoon’s arm up, scratching away at the skin. You watch in pure horror as he collapses to the ground with the creature still attached to him.

The gears in your head finally turn at the sight. Anger boils inside you. You pull the knife out of the dead biter’s head and use the momentum to pierce through the other’s skull. You let the knife go, dropping to your knees to tear the biter off of Namjoon.

He writhes in pain. His breath is labored. He clutched his shoulder, not daring to touch the wound. There is a ringing in your ears. You could feel the blood pumping through you, staring at the man you love as he layed in a pool of his own. You tear a piece of the bottom of your shirt off, quickly trying to tie it around the wound. You feel a hand stop you, pulling your hands harshly away from the cloth.

“D-...Donn-n’t.”

You looked at him. He managed to peek at you, catching your eye for a second before his face scrunched up in agony.

“But I can stop it. I can fix it! Just let me-”

“No.” You held your breath. “It-it...There’s no-othing that will h...help.”

He’s right. The damage was already done. There was nothing you could do about it now.

You clench your fists, his shirt threaded between your fingers. You gaze at him. The tears in your eyes threaten to fall. Namjoon noticed and brought his free hand up to your face. He rubbed his thumb over your cheekbone.

“Y/N…” He whispered. “Don’t-don’t let me… let me turn into one, one of them. Please.”

Your hands relaxed. Your face contorted into a look of terror. How were you going to be able to have the strength to do what he begged you to do? Namjoon dropped his hand from your face, reached for his own knife, and pressed it against your hands. Unconsciously, you let yourself grab the knife. His hand covered yours, guiding you to where his heart rested.

“Don’t for...forget the h-head.”

Tears cascaded down your cheeks, dropping onto his clothed chest. Your hand shook. Namjoon looked at you once more. His lips twisted into a crooked smile, as his own tears rolled down the side of his face.

“I lo-ove you.”

***

Your eyes shot open. You sat up, clutching the blanket around your bare torso. Namjoon groaned lightly behind you, reaching out to find your body. You felt him hit your lower back with his hand. He took a deep breath, sitting up next to you. His hand moved up along your spine and you shivered slightly from how cold it was against your skin.