5 - The Sanctuary

Winter was approaching fast. The nights began to grow colder. Though the sun was still shining, it didn't give off enough energy to keep the days as warm as they had been in the last couple of months. The dew on the grass in the mornings had started to freeze, creating large thin ice blankets, a stark contrast from the dark bark of the trees around. Few leaves were still stuck on the branches of those trees. They shook in the slight breezes, threatening to break off and fall to the ground as the rest already have. There had been one small snowstorm a few days ago, but it barely left anything in its path. The snow that had stuck to the ground had already melted away by noon.

Cuddle sessions during the night became a normal thing between you and the boys. Especially when you didn't find a nice house with actual beds to sleep in. You took turns sleeping next to each other—Jungkook surprisingly emitted the most heat, so you tried your hardest to be directly next to him while you slept. During the days, you would watch for any sign of a local clothing store, hoping to soon switch your knee length shorts and short sleeve shirt for longer wear.

Your group decided to make your way North, aiming for Daegu. Yoongi had mentioned that it hadn't been hit as hard, according to family members, when the apocalypse started, so there was a chance of finding better equipment for the six of you.

"Hey, when are we gonna find another place to stay? It's almost sunset."

You turned to face where the voice had come from. Before you had a chance to open your mouth, another boy had spoken.

"Not sure," Namjoon spoke. "But hopefully soon. I hate travelling at night."

"There are some buildings to the left of us. We could probably find something there," you pointed out.

Five heads twisted to see where you gestured. There were a couple buildings peeking out from behind a large wall that separated them from the road you walked on.

"Alright. Let's look for something that isn't badly damaged and hope it's not already occupied," Yoongi added.

Jungkook found a decent house for the six of you. It was small, but it was enough to sleep comfortably for one night. You were able to step inside without any complications.

The house looked rather untouched. Dust collected on every surface it could. Your nose tickled as it was kicked up by the two boys who walked in front of you. Jungkook and Seokjin tossed their bags on the couch nearest to them and a plume of dust rose from the cushions. The rest of you stopped before you walked into it. Ahead of you, Jungkook and Seokjin fought the dust in their face, both men ending up in a coughing fit.

"Alright, I think the first thing we need to do is find something to get rid of this dust," Namjoon proposed.

Yoongi stepped forward slightly from his spot behind Namjoon.

"I'll go look."

He stepped around Namjoon, passing you on his way farther into the house. You watched as he disappeared around a corner before you moved to find blankets for everyone. Behind you, you heard footsteps following yours. Turning to see who had joined you, you find Hoseok.

"Thought you'd need help."

The corners of your mouth turned up in a grateful smile. You reached out to grab his hand, dragging him alongside you. It didn't take you and Hoseok long to find more than enough supplies for the six of you. The first room you had looked in had several blankets on the small bed as well as some stacked in the closet. Hoseok suggested grabbing a variety of them to ensure everyone could get as comfortable as they liked. You also snatched the couple pillows that lay in a pile on the bed. Although they had collected some dust themselves, they were soft to the touch, and would be nice to lay on.