11 - Home

You never wanted to be in this situation again. After having a stable place to live for the past couple of months, you were finally getting used to the idea that everything would eventually become ‘normal’ again. You wouldn’t have to worry about if you were going to live to see the next day. Now, you weren’t sure if that could ever become a reality.

You kicked at the snow beneath your boots, still angry about what you saw a few days ago. The small teddy bear tucked into your coat pocket began to feel heavy. Having traveled for four days now, slowly passing through the city, your thoughts began to take a toll on you. You tried to stay positive like you had in the past, but the shared empty feeling among you and the boys let you know that it would be a while until you could see their smiling faces again.

The group had reached the main part of the city the day before. Each of you had scavenged for necessary items, but you didn’t stay long. Daegu had become a depressing city, and the longer you stayed, the more your health declined. There was a unanimous decision to start heading towards Seoul, as there was a possibility that there was some kind of safe zone, like there usually was in films and tv shows. If during your travels you found somewhere to build up a home for the eight of you, then you would forgo reaching the capital.

The straps of your backpack dug into your shoulders. You reached up to move the straps to try to release some of the tension.

“You good?”

You turned to face Namjoon.

“Huh? Oh, yeah. It’s just digging into my shoulders slightly.”

“Want me to take it?”

Your eyes widened. You brought up your hands in defense, waving him off.

“No! No. I can handle it. I just-”

“Let’s just take a break,” Seokjin spoke up, “I’m sure we all need one right now.”

The other boys nodded. Some sighed in relief at the mention of a break. All of you walked to the nearest alley, pulling your bags off your back before tossing them against the closest wall. Some of the guys were quick to drop to the ground to get off their feet. You rolled your ankles as much as you could in your boots.

A quiet noise coming from deeper into the alley startled you. You patted at the side of your body to find your knife, pointing it towards the shadows. Whatever was notified of your presence started to make its way to the group as you watched a darker shadow move. You dropped your knife in the snow as it made its way into the lighter part of the alley. The boys had taken the initiative to do something about the situation after they had seen you crumple to the ground.

Tears welled up in your eyes. Namjoon—who had sat right next to your feet—pulled you into his chest. He shoved your face into his coat and blocked your ears as best he could. You sobbed as you could slightly hear the fight two of the others had with the figure.

The little boy you had grown so fond of in The Sanctuary now layed completely still on the other side of the alleyway.

Namjoon rocked you as you cried. He knew how much the children there had made their way into your heart. He felt you move your arms before a small object was placed against his arm. Namjoon took the bear from your grasp and held it out for the youngest group member to take. Jungkook carefully grabbed the bear. He walked over to where the little boy layed, and placed it against his body. The others slowly got up and took their bags before gradually filing out of the alley.

Namjoon pushed you away from his body enough to place a kiss on your forehead. He helped you stand up, reached for both yours and his bags, and threw his arm around your waist. No words spoken as he led you away from the scene.