eighteen

DAVINA'S POV:

"How exactly do you know how to use these", I furrow my brows and look down at the tray of daggers. The metal slicing out of the polished oak, with a V carved into the side.

Matteo shrugs his shoulders and picks one up. "Trained and became a hobby", he mumbles as if it's a normal thing to stab people.

Matteo stands directly in front of me and circles an arm around my waist. He hands me a dagger and works it into my hands, so I know how to hold it.

"Follow my lead", he says and I give a small nod.

"Now if I was a random stranger and did this", he starts and takes his hand on the inner part of my thigh. My skin feels like it's on fire when he slowly trails up. "Your gonna unleash your dagger from under your dress and pull my arm away."

I do as he says and grip his hand. "Then spin me around and place the dagger onto my throat."

I swiftly move him around- pinning his arm behind his back and bring the dagger close to his flesh.

Why did that feel so empowering?

"Huh", I hear from beside me and I turn my head. Only for Matteo to spin around and pull my back to his chest and lightly grip my throat.

"Boom dead", he whispers in my ear and we both let out a laugh.

Carter ignores us and continues to stare at the dagger sitting in my hand. "You sure you haven't used one before? That was nothing compared to how terrible the three of us did when we first learned."

I furrow my brows and grab a bottle of water. "My dad has a knife collection. Maybe it's in my blood", I shrug my shoulders and chug down water.

"Ok come on", Matteo chimes in, and I place the water bottle down- slowly edging closer.

"As you get better I'll show you more advanced techniques", he says and I nod my head.

~

"And your throat is sliced", Matteo says while pinning me to the ground and gripping the dagger at my throat.

I let out a groan and feel the sweat damping around my forehead. Matteo smirks and grips his hand on my hip- sending a million shivers through my core.

"I'm next", I hear Andrea call out and grin widely. Matteo doesn't pay attention. Instead, he's looking down at me and licking his lips.

"You look incredibly sexy right now", Matteo leans down and whispers in my ear.

A smile hangs loosely on my lips as I wrap a hand around his neck and press him closer.

"Gross", Andrea scoffs and I turn my head to the side and see him crinkle his nose up.

"Let's not act like you weren't doing worse last night", Carter chimes in from the couch.

I immediately sit up and attempt to push Matteo off me, but he grips onto my waist. "You and Eli?"

Andrea blushes and rubs the back of his neck. "Yeah."

I swat Matteo's arm away (which I'm sure I'll hear about later) and make my way in front of Andrea- narrowing my eyes. "You listen here", I say and poke a finger in his chest. "That's my best friend and if you ever break his heart I'll cut you up and eat you for dinner."

Andrea gulps down a ball of spit and then I grin widely. "Good we got that cleared," I say and smile while I make my way into the bedroom.

Damn it's hot in here.

I peel off my NIKE sweatshirt that Matteo let me wear. My ocean, blue sports bra sticks to my sweaty skin as I open up the window and look out into the city.

"I'm impressed with how well you did", Matteo says and wraps an arm around my torso. I smile and move my head to the side so he has more room to place his chin.

"I don't know it just seemed", I begin and let out a deep sigh before turning around and meeting his eye. "It felt so right."

His lips tug at the end and I find myself admiring the way his eyes crinkle in the corners. And the way his tattoo feels under my fingertips.

"Thank you for last night", he whispers, and a small frown forms on my face.

"You don't even have to thank me", I say and feel my eyes turn glassy. I wish I could do more to prevent him from having them because this awful feeling is eating at my gut when I think about him in pain.

"I do", he says and wipes away a tear that fell down my cheek. I sniffle, burying my head closer to his chest.

After a couple of minutes of comfortable silence, Matteo lifts my head and locks his finger around my chin. "I have to go to the club for some things. Will you be fine?"

I nod my head slowly and turn my eyes towards the city. "I'm gonna go to the Cafe and stop by my house."

~

I pull out a key and unlock the front door- only to find my father standing there with his hands in his pockets. He looks up at me and scans my body before crinkling his nose up in disgust.

"Where have you been?" he slowly speaks and I can smell the whiskey falling from his mouth. I shut the door and clear my throat.

"Out", I mumble and feel my stomach twist.

"Hm", he slurs and comes closer to me. The burning scent of cigarettes and alcohol swirling around me. "You were out with a boy", he says through gritted teeth and I find myself feeling faint.

"No, I wasn't I-"

A sharp burn scattered through my cheek and I immediately stop talking. My hand flies up to my cheek and I let out a soft cry of pain.

"You will not lie to me", he snarls and walks away.

I quickly go into my room and stand in front of the mirror. The mark was extremely red and irritated, and my cheekbone had a small cut from his ring.

I easily put some concealer and powder on it before grabbing a couple of outfits and packing them in my bag.

I heard my father go into the movie room. Probably because there are a couple of bottles of wine sitting behind the bar.

Quickly climbing into my car I connect my phone to Bluetooth and roll the windows down- hoping to get the sent of my father off.

"Hot summer nights, mid-July when you and I were forever wild", I lay back in my seat and listen to the music.

"Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful?" I pull into the parking lot of the Cafe and make my way to the outside tables.

I pull my hair into a ponytail just as a waiter comes over and pulls out a small notepad. "What can I get you?"

I order a small coffee and crack open one of the books I brought.

Normal People by Sally Rooney

The soft breeze kisses my cheeks and I watch as the sidewalks flood with taxis and people shopping. The soft glow of the sun shining down on my leg and kissing its beam.

Once I finished my coffee and read most of my book I throw away the plastic container and make my way back to my car.

But a tall man stands near the driver's side. His muscular body leaning on the door and looking up at the sky.

I make my way closer and clear my throat so he can acknowledge my presence. "Can I help you?"

He nods his head- the caramel hues looking straight at me.

"Do I know you?"

He flexes his jaw and takes a slow step closer.

"My name is Darcel."