Chapter 18: Akira's Gone Wild:

The next morning, Chase awoke to go and check on Akira in her bedroom to see her peacefully curled up in her form asleep. She twitched from her dreams as she laid on her mattress. Chase carefully approached her and touched the tip of her ear gently with his finger. As he did, Akira flicked her ear and jumped a bit, as she saw Chase stood there waiting for her to get up. She then looked at him with tired eyes as she yawned with a bellow, exposing her sharp teeth.

"Morning, smelly breath," Chase said with a jokey tone. "Your dad said breakfast is done. I've had mine."

Akira then yawned once more, as Chase helped her out of bed. Akira then smiled and followed Chase. After breakfast, they went out to the woods. They both turned to their forms and ran out beside each other. They then arrived at Akira's favourite high rock. It had a den underneath that Akira had laid with leafy bedding. "How long did it take to set up the leaf beds?" Chase asked. "It looks cosy."

Akira smiled. They then retrieved some more leaves and laid them down. "Come on!" Akira smiled as they ran beside each other once more. They had plenty of room to run and chase their blues away. After a few minutes, Akira and Chase had gone back to the house.

After the weekend, school started up again. Akira and Chase arrived at school earlier than the others, as they waited outside the forest room for Mr Tolfree and Mr Ruddle to arrive at work. As they did, Akira and Chase followed them both to the forest room. They had a drink and sat down with the teachers until the others arrived. "There you are!" Tyler exclaimed. "I thought you guys weren't in!"

"We've been with Mr Tolfree and Mr Ruddle for the past 20 minutes. Wanna come and sit down?"

He nodded as the others joined.

When the first lesson started, it was English. Kody was still unsure about the lesson. Even though he could speak English well, he found it difficult to read certain words. He stood shyly outside the classroom as Akira and Shade came by him. "It's fine, Kody." Akira smiled. "Me and Shade can help you. Don't listen to the other kids. They're just mean."

Kody nodded as he went into the class and sat in between Akira and Shade. As the lesson went on, Mr Furlow had chosen Kody to read a line. "Uhhhh..." Kody trembled a little. Akira then reassured him of her support. "All of a sudden, the... ree..nos...arr... oos??"

"Rhinoceros.." Akira whispered encouragingly as Kody corrected himself, yet some of their classmates decided to laugh at him. Akira ignored her classmates' immaturity and continued to help Kody, as he read the sentence well thanks to Akira's help. "You did it!"

As class ended, some of the kids in the class deliberately pushed Kody onto the floor outside the classroom. "Asian freak! Go back to your country if you can't read! Weirdo! Hahahaha!"

Kody sat up with a mild bruise on his cheek. He rubbed it gently as its soreness made him feel weak. Akira hugged Kody carefully, she then glared at the bullies who laughed at Kody. "Oi! Leave Kody alone! He's trying his best, ok?!"

One of them kicked Akira in the jaw as she knelt beside Kody, who trembled with trauma. Akira stood up in front of the bullies with a mouth dripping with blood as they laughed at her. "Autist Akira! Autist Akira! Autist Akira!" She then let out a quiet growl. "Aww is the little autistic puppy growling? How cute."

It was then that 'quiet growl' started sounding more aggressive as Shade held her back from pouncing at the boys. Shade noticed Akira's eyes looked like when she had knocked herself out in the forest room. Her pupils shrunk and her eyes glowed with fury. She huffed angrily at them as Shade could no longer hold her back, his arms aching. She charged at them with a mighty cry and pounced at the bullies, as Kody watched in horror at Akira's sudden change of mood.