Chapter 19: Maid

Jeannette's POV

After I finished my tea time with papa, I went back to my room.

Wasn't that a bit of a progress.?

I tried to think positively, but I couldn't figure out what was bothering me ever since papa told me he killed his brother.

Come to think of it.. In the debutante, I saw a man who looked similar to papa, he was talking to Uncle.

I then shook my head.

No way that's possible.. Besides, he had black hair and eyes. How could he look like papa?

But still, something within me felt as if everything felt so wrong.

From the man talking to Uncle, to papa forgetting Athy.

Besides, it seems like everything happened so suddenly...

"Princess?" A voice made me snap back to reality.

I turned and saw a maid with some refreshments, heading to me.

"Ah.. Yes, yes?" I immediately sat up.

"His Majesty ordered for me to bring this to you. He said he didn't think you ate a lot during the tea party. " The maid explained.

He knew I was bothered.

"Ah.. Um, is that so? Thank you." I flashed a smile, and the maid reciprocated.

I took a bite out of one of the cookies.

So good.

"Princess." The same maid sat next to me.

"Hmm?" I looked at her.

"You're doing so well." She smiled.

"Huh?" I was confused.

What's she saying all of a sudden.?

"Princess, soon enough his majesty will make you crown princess, and no one, not even the other princess will be able to touch you." She gave me an eerie smile.

Suddenly, I felt chills went up my spine.

This.. Everything definitely feels wrong.

"What are you..." I couldn't even finish my words.

"I was a maid sent by Countess Rosalia." She winked at me.

My heart skipped a beat, and my eyes widened.

"Really?" I reaffirmed excitedly.

"Yes, your highness, and I will help you become crown princess." The maid laid a hand on my shoulder, and for some reason, it made me feel uneasy.

"What?" I looked at her as if she just said something false, "I never said I wanted to be the crown princess."

"But you do." She then moved my body to face her, and placed both hands on each of my shoulders.

I was horrified, what's this girl saying?

"Miss," I said shakily, I was scared, "stop.."

"We'll push that blonde bug out of the way and you'll become the crown princess! Trust me, everyone, including the emperor, adores you right now, not her! Oh, this is going so w-"

"Stop!" I pushed her away, not noticing how hard I did it, and she fell to the ground.

I was afraid, what did I do? But I was scared, I never wanted the crown, nor push Athy out of the way. What in the world is she saying?

The maid slowly stood up and slapped me across the face so hard that I fell to my bed.

"Ah!" I groaned.

"The Countess predicted exactly this behavior from you. Your highness, you better listen to me from now on. Otherwise, I'll treat you worse than she did." The maid looked down upon me, and I felt like a bug.

At this point, I was sobbing. I didn't want to go back to that hell she put me through, I'd rather be a commoner. I'd rather die than go through what she did to me again.

"Understand?" She said with authority, and I could do nothing but simply nod.

She then headed out the room, and I was left all by myself. I continued sobbing.

I thought that if I went to the palace, I'd finally have freedom. I thought that Athy could save me, and see through everything. I thought that if I went here, no one would bother me anymore. I thought that I'd finally have a happy family. But that is this? This is exactly the opposite of what I had imagined. Everyone thinks I'm targeting the crown, and they're all using me to hurt Athy. This isn't happy at all. I'm still stuck in these chains. I wish my mother was here. What was she like? What was Athy's mother like?

The thought of a happy family cheered me up a bit. Maybe this is the storm before the rainbow? Maybe, if I could only do it right, I'll be able to convince everyone I'm not going for the crown, and I'll be able to have Claude love Athy again. Isn't this a good plan? But how?

Should I tell papa about what they're doing to me?

No, never.

He will never believe me, nor will Athy. They'll think I'm some sort of a child throwing a tantrum and complaining. I don't want that. I don't have much family to go back to now, I only have them, and I only get one chance at this. I will never tell anyone about this secret of mine, it'll only destroy me.

I laughed at myself. How funny is this? Everything that I thought so strongly was the truth turned out to be a fake version of everything, some sort of imagination and fantasy about this stupid palace.

Now there's no turning back. The last time I visited Athy, I know she tried to seem fine, and she failed miserably. It hurt me more that I'm being used against her, and I'm sure she knows. I wonder, what does she think about me now? Does she hate me now? I hope not, she's my last chance, my only sister, and the only one who will truly understand me. However, why can't I tell her about everything that I've been through? She'll understand, I know. But what if they hurt her as well? I can't let her bear this burden, I don't want her to feel sad. So, I will help her.