Chapter 33: A full circle

Athy's POV

Another day has passed by since the incident, and Jeannette still hasn't woken up. Last night I realized why.

In my first life, Jeannette and I weren't close. I would always be polite with her, but I never let her approach me anymore than that.

But this time it's different. The whole empire knows how close we've gotten, so there's no doubt that the Countess knows about it as well.

She's trying to get Dad to kill me before Jeannette wakes up because she knows Jeannette will definitely not let it happen.

They still haven't found the maid, but they've found more leads, which I suppose is good. I have three more days before Dad comes back, and I suspect that he'll summon me again like in my first life. 

He'll most likely summon me in front of many nobles and then announce that I'll be executed so he can humiliate me further.

Sure, our relationship is slightly better than in my first life, but not enough. His love for Jeannette exceeds his familiarity with me.

Ah, and I ended up firing the maids yesterday. I even burnt their recommendation letters.

It's now noon, and the sun is directly on top of the palace. It's too hot to go outside right now, and I'm currently waiting for Lily to serve my lunch.

When's Lucas coming back?

I've no idea whether or not he's coming back today, or a month from now, and to be honest I'm starting to miss him... A little.

Actually, this morning I found myself daydreaming about all the time we spent together, like on my fifteenth birthday he took me to town secretly at night, and we ate street foods together.

Before going back, we ended up sitting on a bridge overlooking a river and watching it reflect the moonlight. Then we talked about things. Actually, it was so peaceful and comfortable that it was one of the few times Lucas opened up to me about some of his worries and past.

Then around midnight I got a little tired, and my birthday was over, so I just rested my head on his shoulder. He didn't move away; he did sigh though.

Alright, that's enough daydreaming. Seriously.

I shook my head; I shouldn't be thinking about such things right now when I have something else to worry about.

"Princess!" Lily burst through the door urgently.

I jumped, "What's wrong?"

"H-His Majesty," She said, her face pale, "His Majesty is back, and he's heading here right now!"

I shot up from my seat as my face fell. 

What?

"Princess, I-"

Lily stopped midsentence as we heard Dad's footsteps down the hall. 

I was panicking, I felt my stomach turn and I was dizzy.

How could I forget. How stupid could I be?

Of course, Dad wouldn't wait five days to come back. He loves  Jeannette to death. 

I should've known this already. I should've thought of this. If only I-

At this point Dad was standing on the doorway. He didn't have any guards with him, he was all alone, but he did have sword.

Dad glares at me with the most hatred I've ever seen. More than in my first life.

Both Lily and I bowed our heads as I trembled.

Don't kill me, please don't kill me. Please.

"Leave us." He says to Lily without even glancing at her.

I could sense how enraged he is.

Lily hesitated, "Your Majest-"

"Fine. Then don't." He says simply and grabs my hand before dragging me in the hallway and slamming the door shut.

"Your Majesty!" I panicked, trying to break free, but he only strengthened his grip and it hurt.

Dad pushes me away aggressively and it results to me falling on the ground.

At this point I was kneeling in front of him, both my hands on the ground, and trembling in fear.

He stood in front of me, and it truly felt like we were both so far apart.

"Your Maj-" 

"How dare you." He speaks. I could see him grit his teeth as he tries to restrain himself from killing me right then and there.

My voice was shaking at this point, and I couldn't make eye contact.

"Your Majesty. It wasn't me." I said simply, trying to keep my voice from trembling, but ultimately failed.

"You liar."

I shut my eyes. This was painful for me because it reminded me of my first life.

"I'm not lying, Your Majesty, "I said desperately, "Please, I request a trial."

He scoffs, and my heart stopped.

He's not going to grant my request.

It was all falling apart. He'd already made up his mind, and I can never change it. Not anymore.

My eyes blurred at my sudden realization, and I realized I was sobbing so bad.

"You pathetic thing tried to use me to get to the crown." He says mockingly, and I didn't answer.

So similar to my first life.

I sobbed there, not saying anything. But I didn't cry because I was going to die. No, I was crying because of everything that I'd lost. It hurt more this time than in my first life because it felt like I was being teased. Like they let me experience what it's like to finally be loved by the person I've always strived to be better for and took that away. They took it away and just let me suffer as I watch everything go back to how it should've  been. I cried for everything I've lost, and especially for the man in front of me.

Just like in my first life, except I feel even more betrayed.

Finally, I looked up at him and met his eyes.

"What will it take for you to love me?" I recited, "Should I become like Jeannette? If I do, then will you call my name dearly like you call hers? And watch me with warmth in your eyes like you used to? Will you hold me in your arms just once again without pushing me away?"

Dad was unfazed.

And just like in my first life...

"Such a thing won't happen till the day I die." He says, and to me it felt like we were both just reciting lines off of a book.

I scoffed, but it was because it was too painful.

"Why is that? I'm your daughter too, father. I've been by your side longer than Jeannette." I said, bracing myself for his answer.

You fool.

"You fool." He says, cold.

"There was never a day I considered you my daughter."

Lie.

My heart ached so much that I'd rather have just stabbed it.

I tried my best to give him a smile, but my face wouldn't cooperate.

"We're back in a full circle, huh?" I say more to myself.

We truly did a complete 360. 

Dad, of course, didn't understand what I was saying, but I just sobbed there.

"Fine," I say in between my sobs, "Then from now on, I'm saying that there was never a day I considered you my father."

And it won't matter anymore anyway because you will never remember me.