Chapter 28: Potion

Athy's POV

A maid walks in with a cart full of desserts and refreshments. Swiftly, she places them all down and leaves.

"These look so good!" Jeannette beamed.

I merely looked at my plate and tea. 

This is so bizarre.

It's been a while since I got to eat sweets and drink Lippe tea with Dad.

Early today, Jeannette somehow convinced Dad to let me join them. Of course, I was even more confused because we just had an uncomfortable encounter this morning.

Maybe he really wants me to tell him?

I sighed.

I'm not telling you anything no matter what.

"Sister, are you okay?" Jeannette's question snapped me out of my thoughts.

I glanced at Felix and saw that he was also worried, but I looked away fast.

"Yes, I'm alright." I smiled at her, even taking a sip of my tea to show her I'm fine.

I really do love Lippe tea. I remember the first time I drank it in front of Dad.

But.. Looking at all the sweets and tea, I couldn't help but think of the past again, which I try to avoid doing.

I pushed the thoughts away and decided to taste the cake. It was heavenly. I stared intently at it because it was all I could do to stop myself from showing that I enjoyed it greatly.

Jeannette's smile widened, she could tell I loved it.

We were just peacefully eating and drinking until Jeannette shot up from her seat.

"Ah! I forgot I had something to do today!" She said urgently.

Dad set his tea down on the table, "What is it?"

"Um.. Stuff." Jeannette said vaguely.

What is she working on?

"Anyways! I'll be really happy if you guys continue this tea party without me."

What?

I tried to protest, "But-"

"Felix! Please escort me." She smiled at him.

Are they scheming something?

"Ah, I'd be glad to, princess." Felix says, as if he knows something.

Jeannette winked at me, and then within seconds, they were gone.

Now I understood what they were trying to do.

Jeannette.. Seriously!

I felt so awkward, but Dad just continued on like nothing.

Fine, then I'll do that too.

I drank my tea as I pretended to be thinking about something.

So awkward...

I sighed and took a bite out of my cake.

I had a lot of paperwork to tend to today, but it was really unexpected that I'd be drinking tea here with Dad, so I may have to work on them tomorrow.

Even though it's a weekend. How unlucky of me.

Ah! Maybe I can use that as an excuse to leave!

Good thinking, Athy.

I took one final sip out of my cup and stood up from my seat.