Chapter 37: An Audience

Jeannette's POV

Why is my name in here?

I was dumbfounded. What is this? A joke? Why would Athy read something like this?

Furrowing my brow, I focused intently on reading more. By the time I finished with chapter one, I was so flabbergasted. It's like I was reading an account of my life in the form of a novel. It was so bizarre. Even details I hadn't known about myself were included.

Like I was born with black magic.

Papa isn't my real father. It was his brother. The one he.. 

The one he killed.

I set the book down, dizzy with my discovery. There's no way this is real. This can't be real. Papa is my father, not anyone else.. Only Papa, right?

But it all makes sense?

I have my mother's hair, but I doubt her and Papa reconciled after they broke their engagement. I felt so betrayed. Did Uncle know about all this?

So that means without black magic in my veins, my eyes would be a natural green.

Athy knew about all this. How come she didn't say anything? How long has she had this? I thought she promised to tell me everything? Did she lie to me all along?

I shook my head. 

It's not good to assume things, I don't even know if this is real, and I haven't even finished reading.

I decided to read more, so I grabbed the book once again.

In the end, it took me about two hours to read all of it, and about halfway through the book I was trembling.

Athy died early in the book and the Jeannette in the story just moved on like nothing happened.

This is weird. I don't like it. Why is this in a book? Why do I feel like this has happened before? I'm so confused. What does this all mean? And who could be so cruel as to write a book where Athy is framed and executed?

And why does it feel like it's all happening right now?

Why would Athy read this torture of a book?

Frustrated with all my questions, I glanced at the opened cabinet and saw a letter. I dropped the book in shock.

It was dated on Athy's eleventh birthday. It was short. It was just one sentence, and all of a sudden everything made sense.

The reason why she appeared so mature even though she was just a child. The reason why she was able to handle the empire's finances and paperwork at such a young age. The reason why it felt like she already knew me the first time we met. The reason why she instantly realized I was poisoned on the day of the incident, and everything else about her.

She already went through all this.

To be specific, the book was her first life, and now she's come back. 

My heart ached even more. 

How could one go through all this?

She tried so hard to be loved by Papa in her first life, how cruel is it that they'd have her go through the same things again?

How could she look at me with such warmth in her eyes and be able to say that I was the sister she's always wanted when I just let her die in her first life?

Tears fell down my face.

She's been through so much. How could she smile so genuinely?

I failed her in her first life. I went with the flow, I was pathetic. I was so naive.

But that was in her first life.

I will use this knowledge to my advantage. I will no longer stand by like the Jeannette in that pathetic book.

She has made me stronger. She helped me overcome being a pushover, and now it's time to put it in to practice.

Athy has been protecting me all this time, and now it's my turn to protect her.

-----------------------------------------

"Ah, princess," Felix waved at me cheerfully, "Are you here to visit His Majesty?"

I was on my way to Claude's office when Felix spotted me and walked over to me.

"Yes, I am." I said simply.

Felix looked a bit worried as we walked, "Is something wrong?"

"Yes, there is." I said bluntly.

Ah," Felix saw that I didn't want to talk about it any further, so he changed the topic, "So what are you reading?"

I glanced at the book.

He can't know.

"Novels." 

---------------------------

Once we arrived, I turned to Felix.

"Go knock and tell him I've requested an audience with him." 

Felix tilted his head to the side, "You can just walk in, princess. He doesn't mind-"

"No," I said firmly, "Tell him I've requested an audience with him."

Felix didn't reply and slowly gave in. He went inside the office, and I waited for a few seconds.

Finally, he popped his head out, "You can come in, princess."

I nodded and went inside.

Claude was sitting on his desk, looking relieved that I've finally decided to see him after days.

"Leave us, Felix." He says simply, and Felix leaves.

I stood there, staring at him without any smile on my face, and I could tell the atmosphere was tense.

"Jeannette," He finally says, "You don't have to be so formal. You can just sit down and I can ask one of the maids to-"

"No, Your Majesty, " I said coldly, and he flinches, "I'm not here for a tea party."

Claude only looks uncomfortable.

"Looking at your face right now," I paused, "It pisses me off."

"What happened to you all of a sudden?" He furrows his brows, "Did that girl really-"

I cut him off by throwing the book on the ground, it made a loud thud noise as it hit the ground.

"I was only here to deliver this, Your Majesty," I say coldly, "Maybe if you read it, I'll consider even thinking about forgiving your revolting actions."

He didn't utter a word.

"I'm sorry I couldn't deliver it properly," I say as I turned to the door, "but you have two hands, I'm sure you can pick it up yourself."

So get down on your knees and grab it yourself you bastard.