Chapter 24: Sismance

Jeannette's POV 

"My lady! I heard that the other princess barged into the palace just now!" Nina burst into my room.

Athy? She's finally here? I've missed her so much.

"What? Where?" I urgently asked.

"In the audience room. This is the perfect time to get His Majesty to hate her even more." Nina shrugged.

"Hate her? Why would you say that..?" I clenched my fists.

Nina sighed in frustration. "You're making me really annoyed, princess. You don't understand, so long as that woman is bothering the emperor, your status as a Crown Princess is being jeopardized."

"No, I'm going to see her right now. I don't care about the crown." I headed for the door. 

I don't care if they have the guards drag me away, I just want to see Athy doing okay.

Immediately, I felt Nina brag me and shove me. I groaned in pain.

"What are you-"

And then I felt it. Nina slapped me again. Hard.

"The Countess had already told me you'd be stupid like this, but I didn't know it was to this extent." Nina said coldly.

I was scared. No one can help me. Not papa, not Athy.

But.. Athy was more important than my feelings. I need to be there for her.

"No! Get away from me." I pushed her as hard as I could, and she fell on the ground.

"You stupid bastard!" She yelled in rage as I ran as fast as I could to the audience room.

I was running out of breath, but I was close enough.

"Princess? You're not allo-" The guards couldn't finish their sentence as I pushed through them.

"Athy?" My voice was loud as it echoed through the room.

Papa and Athy immediately looked to where I was. 

I was so happy I could cry. Athy was doing okay. She's doing fine. I relaxed my body.

Finally, papa spoke. "Jeannette? What are you doing here?"

"Ah, it's just that I-" I started, but I didn't realize that Nina had already caught up to me.

"Oh, the lady must've been confused!" Nina rushed to me, and I felt my stomach sinking. She grabbed my arm so hard that I felt like it was gonna leave a bruise. 

I bit my lip to stop myself from groaning in pain as she dug her fingernails into my arm.

But I wasn't confused. Nina was wrong. I knew very well what I was doing.

"No, I-"

"The lady has been frantic lately, I will take her back to her room, Your Majesty." Nina says as she dug her fingernails deeper into my arm.

I was a princess, and she was a maid. I was so ashamed that I was letting myself be a pushover. I have power. I can punish her. But I was scared. 

Nina started dragging me back to my room, and I was ready to give up.

"Stop." Athy said, and for some reason, I felt a little happy. Did she notice something was wrong? I hope she did. I pray she will. Please help me.

"Yes?" Nina glared at Athy.

Athanasia walked up to us and pulled me over to her side. Her arms were on my back, as if to protect me. I was so glad. I was so happy. But.. Again, I was a stupid, helpless princess. I came her to help Athy, but now she's having to protect me again.