Chapter 27: Birthday

Athy's POV

So two years passed by without any progress on my relationship with Dad. And I guess somewhere along the way, I kind of stopped expecting anyway.

Meanwhile, it's my birthday again today. My sixteenth birthday.

"Happy birthday, princess." Lily greeted me warmly as she holds my cake with a lit candle on top.

It's already late at night. We decided to celebrate it around this time because if not, Dad will surely throw a fit, especially when Felix Jeannette are secretly attending.

Jeannette wrapped her arms around me into a warm hug, "Happy birthday, sister!"

I chuckled, "Thank you."

"Okay, now blow the candle so we can start eating!" Hannah, the maid, urged, to which Ces agreed to.

"Okay, okay, give me a sec." 

"Careful not to spit on it. We wouldn't wanna eat a cake like that." Jeannette teased.

I shrugged, "More for me, though, right?"

I held the candle and closed my eyes, ready to think of my wish.

I wish Dad will remember me again.

And I blew the candle.

It was the same thing I wished for last year as well. You know, just in case this thing actual works.

Everyone applauded me for my birthday, and I felt the happiest I've been in a while.

"What did you wish for, princess?" Lily asked as she patted my head.

"The same thing as last year." I replied, not giving any more away.

My birthday didn't go on for long after that. It was late, and everyone had to get up early. We just ate, I opened some gifts, and thanked them.

Now I was laying on my bed, making sure Lily is gone.

Ever since I found the Lovely Princess book, and Mom's picture, it's been a tradition for me every year on my birthday to write a letter to my Mom as I look at her picture.

So far, I only have about 4 letters, and that's because I didn't do it on my 14th birthday, my debutante, because I was so tired.

What should I write this year?

I mean, it doesn't have to be long, and I was tired anyway, so I decided to keep it short.

"Mom, do you know your smile is so beautiful? It soothes me each time I look at it. But sometimes it's just so pretty that it hurts. Maybe that's why it's tainted with my tears. It's my sixteenth birthday, Mom, please greet me. Please watch over me. I love you."

Once I finished up, I put it inside the Lovely Princess book, along with the other 4 letters.

So now that makes five letters.

Sometimes I look over my letters whenever I'm bored, or when I'm a bit sad. It doesn't really help when I'm sad, it kind of just makes me even sadder.

I glanced at my fourth letter. The one from last year. It was the longest one I wrote, and you can probably understand why. Some parts of it were wrinkled, and that was where my tears were.

Meanwhile, I daresay that my first one was the shortest one. It was just one sentence.

...

Finally, I decided to turn off my lamp and go to bed.