Chapter 40: Execution

Athy's POV

"It's time." One of the guards said coldly.

I merely nodded as I got up to walk up to them. The guard roughly grabbed my wrists and tied a rope around it. I glared at him.

He grabbed the back of my neck and started aggressively pushing me to walk.

I tried to push away, "Don't touch me."

The guard only scoffed, "You don't have any say in that now."

I was enraged, but I decided not to say anything further.

I'll make you pay for this, you bastard.

Finally, we stepped outside, and I was blinded by the sunlight I hadn't seen in a week. The crowd erupted as they spotted me. They enthusiastically cheered for my death. 

I only smiled back at the crowd, holding my head up high.

Too bad you'll be disappointed today.

I glanced at the throne, and neither Jeannette nor Claude were present. It was expected. Claude declared that he wouldn't waste his time on me, and I don't think Jeannette could stomach even the thought of my death.

But I'm not dying today.

In fact, I'm ready. Once they get my head in that rope, I will say a couple of last words and use my teleportation scroll to get to my hideout.

I smirked.

Who said I was going to die willingly?

About a week ago, Lily and I had planned something out if things turn out badly. (Refer back to Chapter 32)

"So, listen close to me, Lily. I need for you to do something in case things don't end up in my favor."

"Yes, princess, I'll do whatever it takes."

"If ever something bad happens and the trial deems me convicted, I need you to contact one of the magicians in the tower, Brian, and ask for a teleportation scroll."

Lily nodded, focused.

"Penny, remember her?"

"Yes, she was your maid back in the ruby palace."

"Right, and she's still loyal to me. Right now, she works in the dungeons, so I need for you to get her to deliver me the teleportation scroll." I continued and Lily nodded at my words.

"Lastly, I'm ordering you to run away into a place that Viscount Priess has prepared for us."

"Viscount Priess? When-"

"I've asked for him to help us yesterday, so run away there, and I'll use the teleportation scroll to get there."

"What if it doesn't work?"

"I don't care what happens to me, Lily, "I said firmly, "I need you to run away. No matter what.

-----------------------------------------------

(Refer back to Chapter 35)

There was a note from Lily in the bowl. A knowing smile spread across my face as I read it.

"We'll be executing the plan earlier than expected, and we've caught the rat."

It was short and straight to the point, but I was quite pleased.

As expected of Lily, they really improvised.

-----------------------------------------------------

I stepped onto the box as they shoved my head into the rope.

This is all so familiar.

Everyone looked at me in disgust, some murmuring about how disgraceful I was, and some ridiculing me.

I held an emotionless expression on my face at the thought of my first life.

"We present to you, Athanasia De Alger Obelia." The host announced.

"She'd attempted murder on the crown princess, her sister, therefore she is to be executed, and stripped of her title." He declared loudly.

Everyone cheered for my nearing death, but it was all so laughable, really.

"Do you have any last words?" The host finally said to me the words I've been waiting for him to say.

"Yes." My confidence showed through my voice.

"You are welcome to speak." The host says, displeased with my attitude.

"Blessing and glory upon the Obelian empire," I smiled casually at the crowd, "may my sister find the real culprit, and..."

Everyone flinched at my words, they seemed to hate how nonchalantly I was treating the whole thing.

"Suck an oily old man's toes you ugly bastards!" I yelled loudly and laughed hysterically.

I've always wanted to say this to all of them who rejoiced in my suffering.

The whole crowd gasped in disbelief, which only encouraged my behavior all the more.

"Yes, that's right," I said, laughing, "You all look like you got hit by a carriage."

The host grabbed me aggressively, and I could tell he was enraged, "That's enough you damned murderer!"

"Screw off," I scoffed, "You're the oily old man whose toes they should suck."

His faced turned red from the anger and embarrassment as I laughed like a maniac.

Finally, he turned to the lever to lift the rope.

I reached into the pocket of my rag of a dress and grabbed my scroll.

You won't have the satisfaction of killing me this time.

I was about to use the scroll until we all heard a voice.

"Wait!"