6: Arch-enemy Anew

The three landed instantly at the centre of the Lotus Pier compound. The place was brilliantly lit up with yellow and amber light. Which frightened Wei Wuxian because it was late at night. He turned around to stare, horrified, at his beloved home going down in flames. The rooms and the halls were on fire, fresh flames igniting as massive logs of fire were thrown into the sect's home. Wei Wuxian couldn't bring himself to turn away from the sight: this was his home since infancy. Where he'd found his Shijie and his A-Cheng and all the other Jiang brothers and sisters. Where he'd grown up, found his pure white core, risen to fame, all the way until everything else. And then even after things had returned to normal, this had once again been a precious place to him. And his refuge in the Ancestral Hall– Oh no, the Ancestral Hall!

But he had no time to think of his Ancestral Hall.

"Wuxian-di!"

"Wei Ying!"

Wei Wuxian's consciousness was drawn back to the surroundings and he turned to the Lans.

"Come on!" Lan Xichen pointed to the front. Near the gates, hundreds of men stood in semicircular rows, shooting smouldering arrows into the Lotus Pier compound and attacking the relentless Jiangs with swords and whips. At the forefront stood one man, his usually pristine and adorned robes in disarray, hair dishevelled, fist clenched until the fingers and veins turned white and hand swinging from left to right. Crash! Smash! Purple Lightning flashed at the men, sending tens of them flying, the stench of burning flesh rotting the usually alluring lotus-scent-filled air.

But none of this discomforted Wei Wuxian. He could only see the streams of blood dripping from Jiang Cheng's robes onto the rocky ground of Lotus Pier. Just like Madam Yu. Too much so, he thought as the three ran to the Jiang Sect Leader.

"Wanyin!"

Jiang Cheng sent another crash of lightning before twisting his head. Lan Wangji's eyes widened as he saw the sweat, grit and blood on his brother-in-law's face. 

"Ah, you guys came?" He whispered. They were here. Wei Wuxian would take care of the rest. He, on the contrary, could hold on longer so he let his body go limp as Wei Wuxian ran to catch him.

"A-Cheng!"

"A-Xian... Just finish this off. Don't kill rashly, capture a few, let the others off. We need to find out about them." The attackers began running towards them, shouting together as one battle roar shook the sky. "They might be a cultivational clan. So don't kill," Jiang Cheng instructed before passing out in his brother's hands.

"What clan?" Wei Wuxian looked up at the incoming onslaught of brawlers.

"Uniforms," Lan Wangji pointed out.

"Ah, right," Wei Wuxian nodded while he stood on his feet, his brother in his arms. The approaching men were all wearing one uniform, grey and green blended in a mysterious design. "Ge, take A-Cheng inside. We'll handle this."

"Just you two?"

"Said who!" Another voice shouted above the chaos, landing behind them.

"Nie-xiong? Xuanji-mei?"

"Surprised to see me? Nobody said expectant women can't sword-fight!" Chen Xuanji grinned as she gripped Zhipei. Nie Huaisang nodded and flourished Zhiming. "Your Jingyi sent us a message." 

"Ge, Wen Ning's coming too. You take A-Cheng inside."

Lan Xichen swiftly cradled the lifeless Jiang Cheng in his arms and shot into the interior, unaffected part of the Sect's home.

"Good. Now, then, let's deal with these rascals," Wei Wuxian turned back to the attackers.

"Wei-xiong," Huaisang stood to Wei Wuxian's left. "Kill? Or injure?"