12: Nie Huaisang Uncovers The Past

It only took one day for Nie Huaisang to come running into Cloud Recesses with news of Lin Xiaowen. Who he was, where he was from, what he was doing, why he'd done it all. Everything Jiang Cheng, his love and his brothers were grateful to know. Xichen sent an immediate message through Wei Wuxian to Jiang Cheng, requesting his presence and Jiang Cheng was seated at the Chief Cultivator's study table in a flash.

"First off. Lin Xiaowen's surname is fake. He was born Liu Xiaowen."

"WHAT! He's a Liu swine!"

"Jiang-xiong, keep it low or Shifu will kick the both of us out. So yes, he's Liu Xiaowen. And Lin Qiao was Liu Qiao. What had happened was their parents were killed in a night hunt, and the two children had been left stranded. Back then, Xiaowen was ten and Wei-xiong's A-Qiao was barely a toddler — she probably can't even remember. When Xiaowen went to Longzhen, the clan wouldn't accept them. They'd be accepted by their relatives under one condition, which was that the two be taken into the Jiang sect so Xiaowen can play 'spy'. Xiaowen was ready to go all out for his stupid clan so he agreed. They changed surnames and came to Lotus Pier in search of shelter. That's when Old Sect Leader Jiang took them in and they were adopted by a childless family in your sect. Guest disciples, right?"

Jiang Cheng nodded. "So when he got the chance, he released his beloved clan's Second Young Master and escaped before he got caught?"

"Precisely," Nie Huaisang wagged his fan and flapped it smugly.

"Nie-xiong, how did you even find all that out?"

"Wei-xiong, I found a Liu senior last night, on a night hunt. Captured him. A few threats and cuts from Xuanji and he'd spat it all out."

The other four nodded.

"Oh, dear, Lin Qiao..." Xichen muttered under his breath.

"Xichen?"

"Wanyin, won't Lin Qiao have to be arrested?"

"What! Why?" Wei Wuxian looked up from his and Lan Zhan's intertwined hands to find Jiang Cheng nodding sombrely. 

"A-Xian, she's a Liu too. Another Liu turned Jiang. The traitor's sister. Officially, we'll have to–"

"NO! Don't you dare arrest my shimei!"

"A-Xian, for God's sake, calm down! It's just for the show, we'll treat her wonderfully well in the dungeons."

"BUT it's IN the DUNGEONS!" Wei Wuxian gawked at his brother.

"Didi, when the news goes out, she'll be in trouble. It'll be safe to keep her hidden there," Xichen explained.

"But... A-Qiao in the dungeons? Gege, that's too much! Can't we keep her here?"

"In Cloud Recesses? No, she'll be safer with her own people to secretly take care of her."

Wei Wuxian was shuddering. "Gege... A-Cheng, you can't be serious? She's the purest disciple, imprisonment will stain her white record! A-Cheng, have mercy!"

Jiang Cheng gulped. "A-Xian, she's my shimei, too. As close to me as Baozhai is. But what can I do! I'm sorry! Being Sect Leader is hard..." Jiang Cheng sulked.

The image of the humorous and sweet Lin Qiao seated on the cold, rocky ground behind a barred door, in absolute darkness was too much for Wei Wuxian. Lan Zhan gripped his hand tighter to keep Wei Ying The Snowflake from shattering, as Wei Wuxian tried harder to restrain his uncontrollable shivering. He shut his eyes and thought of the bunnies, the children, his husband. Slowly, his enraged core calmed down, the effects of the imprint receding.