49: Phoenix Hunt

"Huh? Who's that fellow walking with Wei Wuxian?"

"Is it a friend of Xingguang Xian's?"

"Another Immortal, perhaps?"

"But how do we not know?"

The man walking with Wei Wuxian slowed down. Wei Wuxian turned around and saw him staring at his feet with the guiltiest expression ever. Sighing, Wei Wuxian walked to him and took his hand, gave a reassuring smile and walked on. Once they'd reached the audience, Wei Wuxian turned to the crowds.

"What's the hustle about? Don't you know who this is?"

All at once, the juniors's faces lit up as they recognised their bestie. "WEN SHUSHU!"

"What!" The elders looked at one another.

"That's the Ghost General!" The seniors gasped.

"So what?" Twelve voices shouted. The entire grounds became silent as they watched twelve people surround Wen Ning. Wei Wuxian, Lan Qiang, and the famous Terrific Ten.

"What are you children doing?" Clan Leader Yao spoke.

Jin Ling stepped to the front. "We stand on his side. And stop calling us children. We know what's right and what's wrong better than you do. I'm Sect Leader Jin."

"Sect Leader Lan," Sizhui stood with him.

"Deputy General Nie!" Xiyuan tossed an arm around Wen Ning's shoulder.

"Head Disciples Jin," Xiyi and Chan walked over.

"Head Disciple Jiang," Liwei nodded to Wei Wuxian.

"Head Disciples Lan," Jingyi and Lan Hao barked at them.

"Clan Leader Ouyang," Zizhen snarled as he stood in front of Wen Ning.

"Madam Ouyang," Xiuying huffed as she stood with him.

"Lady Lan, Lan Sect Leader's Advisor," Lan Qiang growled.

"I don't think I need to say who I am?" Wei Wuxian laughed sourly at them. All the seniors looked from one to another. That sour laugh... Was a sign the Yiling Laozu was on the verge of being unleashed. "Quit with the Ghost General thing. He's here as my brother. And as the last Wen."

"Exactly!" All the other eleven shouted.

"A-Qiang, don't," Wen Ning shook his head.

"Quiet, A-Ning, I'm not tolerating this all the time."

"Qiang-Er," a solemn voice rang clear.

Lan Qiang turned around to see her brother had arrived. Lan Wangji waved her aside and walked over to his husband. "A-Ying, let go of Chenqing."

Wei Wuxian was clutching his flute as he had long ago. The memories of the place were affecting him. "A-Ying." Lan Zhan clasped his hand around Wei Ying's shaking one.

Wei Ying felt a lot calmer as the soothing warmth of his hand washed over him. "Mn, A-Zhan, I'm better." Wei Ying let go of his flute and looked around. "Guys, move back, I don't think they'll hurt him now," he spoke to the children and sister before turning to the crowds again. "Like I said, he's not here as some Ghost General."

While all the shouting was going on, the children behind the seniors in the crowd were struggling to get to the front to see what was going on. "Daddy," one girl tugged on her father's sleeve. "I wanna see."

"Keep quiet and stay at the back."

Lan Wangji had had enough of the chaos. "Jin Xiyi."

Xiyi nodded and walked to the stage to announce. "Let me finish the announcement. Champion of the last Phoenix Hunt, Yingxiong Laozu, Xingguang Xian, Wei Ying, Wei Wuxian. And with him, Wen Ning, Wen Qionglin. The last member of the QishanWen Sect." NOT Ghost General, the glare in her eyes proclaimed.