31: Didi's Advice

A/N: Well, well, well, hope you guys cherished the last three chapters! Sweetness ends here 😎 *Evil Maleficent-ish author cackle*

________________________________________________

Lan Xichen arrived in Gusu by noon with a terrible backache, which only served to double his joy. He walked into his home to find everything was just as it should be. The younger disciples were still having lessons with their swords, and the seniors were practising, finishing up the morning's lessons when the Head Disciple walked to them and called them all in for lunch. Bowing to Lan Sizhui, every last disciple returned each sword to its sheath and marched into the Lunch Hall. On the way, they met Master Wei running in with them and they all waved. "Master Wei!"

"Well hello there! Come quick! We're having something different today!"

"Oooh," the disciples chorused. "What's different?"

"Sh," Wei Wuxian put a finger to his lips before pointing to the stricter ones standing by the door, waiting for them to enter. "You'll see, talk later," he said before running in to stand with his husband. Hanguang-Jun stood by the door, waiting for them to come. Picking up pace, the disciples bowed as they passed Hanguang-Jun into the hall. Hanguang-Jun had been waiting for his husband and walked in beside him now. Lan Qiren was waiting at the dais. Nodding to them, he sat on his seat. Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian sat at their own places while Lan Sizhui remained standing until every last disciple was seated before taking his own seat.

Smiling to himself, Lan Xichen walked into the Hall. Looks like they can cope just well on their own. Sizhui really was a good choice. I wonder... Lan Xichen grinned to himself as he sauntered into the Hall.

"Gege!" Wei Wuxian got up and waved.

The rest — except the Elders — also rose and bowed to the entering Sect Leader. Lan Xichen waved them back to their seats before sitting between his uncle and brother. "Shufu."

"Mn, eat."

Turning to his right, he smiled at his brothers. "Wangji, Wuxian."

"Xiongzhang," Lan Wangji inclined his head.

Wei Wuxian was all bubbly and bright as always. "Hello, gege!" He waved merrily. "I thought you'd be staying there tonight, too," he chuckled.

"Wanyin had something to do with the villagers around," Xichen answered without a trace of embarrassment, making Qiren choke.

Wei Wuxian grinned as he nodded at his brother-in-law's daring. "Oh, so you would have stayed otherwise?" Wei Wuxian laughed. "How about you give the Sect Leadership to Sizhui right away?"

"Daddy!" Sizhui nudged him from the right.

"Fine, fine, I'll be quiet," Wei Wuxian snickered as he returned to his plate. Xichen followed suit — and gasped. "Oh, I got Madam Fan to make something different today." All the disciples and elders looked down at their plates.

Qiren's jaw dropped. "This is..."

"Squirrel fish. Just sweet and sour fish seasoned and arranged in the shape of a squirrel. Oh and that dessert on the side is steamed egg pudding with a bit of soy sauce. I see these in Caiyi Town as famous Gusu meals, so I thought we could... Add it to our menus? It's a Gusu regular despite being bittersweet. Makes the meal less bland," Wei Wuxian added.

"We did have this long ago," Elder Ning answered.

"Really? Elder Ning, you mean both these meals are part of our menu?"

"No, not anymore," he shot a sideways glance at Lan Qiren. "But they were long ago."

"But why not anymore? They're scrumptious!" Wei Wuxian beamed through a mouth stuffed with fish — not that any Lan elder really cared today. Especially not the dazed Lan Qiren. "Shi– Shifu? Are you alright?"