38: Light Of Pure Love

"A-ZHAN!"

Wei Wuxian sat upon a comfortable bed. Not one that had his favourite sandalwood scent but one that smelled of frost and jasmine. Hanshi? What am I doing here? He looked around. Where's A-Zhan?

A-Zhan... He crushed his head as the events of that earlier day gushed into his mind. He gasped and stumbled out of the bed, landing on his knees. "A-Zhan? A-Zhan! Gege!"

Lan Xichen was already seated beside him on the ground, Jiang Cheng biting his nails as he watched from the table.

"Didi, you're awake."

"Awake? Did I faint?"

"You did. Must be the shock. How do you feel?" Xichen asked. Wei Wuxian didn't miss the unusual solemness in his otherwise cheery voice, not to mention the large white cloth wrapped around his and Jiang Cheng's waist. The mourning waistband.

"Gege, where's my husband?"

Lan Xichen pursed his lips and turned to Jiang Cheng for help. Jiang Wanyin wasn't that bad at talking straight so he mumbled over his tea, "Buried beside his ancestors."

"What!" Wei Wuxian stumbled up and staggered towards the table, tumbling onto Jiang Cheng's lap. "The hell do you mean buried?"

"A-Xian," Jiang Cheng cupped his brother's cheek. He wasn't the best at consoling, but he was good at drilling the facts into another's head. "Your husband's gone. Died that day saving you. Saving you, hear me? So show him some respect by accepting it."

"Died?" Wei Wuxian whispered as he lay his head on Jiang Cheng's lap. "Died? He can't die. He... He's immortal! And we're core-bound! How can I be here if he's dead?"

Jiang Cheng sighed. "Are you done whining so I can explain?"

Wei Wuxian eagerly nodded into the purple robes.

"Good, then listen." Jiang Cheng beckoned Lan Xichen to sit nearby and began. "Remember when you returned from seeing that Guiding Light Immortal, Wang Meihui? Remember he took Xichen and me away to say something? She's told you about encountering some darkness? Well, she'd also said at some point, to chase out the darkness with spiritual energy. Wang Meihui had told him something about making the right decision when necessary. To follow his heart. Which meant Lan Wangji had to send in spiritual energy to help you. Right?"

"Mn," Wei Wuxian mumbled. "I met the Devil again. Dark and gloomy, but this bright white light shone from me and it chased it all away. Was it A-Zhan's energy?"

"Yes. She said something about there being the light of a thousand suns within you?" Jiang Cheng asked.

When Wei Wuxian raised his head to hear what they had to say on that, Lan Xichen answered, "That's your love. The love in your heart."

Jiang Cheng nodded. "I don't know how Lan Wangji interpreted all that but he did. The light was the purity of the love in your heart. Which was multiplied by your beloved himself sending in his energy to revive you. Hence the blinding light, I guess. Now, anything else you felt?"

Wei Wuxian sat up, leaning on his brother as he thought through, sniffing. "Right, this... When that light began to shine, I felt the fiery rage in me going down like flames doused with water." He looked between the two.

Jiang Cheng nodded to Xichen, who replied, "That's your demonic energy dropping. The presence of the Devil would have aroused your imprint and the Devil, now that you were in the dark world inside the sceptre, can manipulate you badly, so your enraged demonic energy had to be gotten rid of before it strangled you." Xichen looked down at his feet.