21: Wang Meihui

The brilliance was waved away by a pale hand with long, slender fingers. Once the light receded, the Great Duo saw an elegant woman seated on the grass, a soft radiance enwrapping her heavenly soul. She had sparkling green eyes; long, silvery-white hair and a light complexion. She waved the light around her away and nodded to the two.

"Wang Meihui?"

The beautiful lady smiled. "It has been a long time since I met anyone. Your need must be great and true. And so are your hearts: pure and righteous. Nobody else gets to meet me nowadays. Alas, the number of people like you in this world are decreasing with every dawn. And it's been even longer since anyone called me by my actual name." Her voice seemed to calm the two of them to an amazing sense of assurance and serenity. 

"Oh, forgive me, I don't know your title," Wei Wuxian bowed low apologetically.

She waved her hand. "It's fine. Titles don't matter. What matters is who you are, not what people call you."

The two nodded in agreement. None but themselves knew that better than anyone else.

"Come, be seated." She pointed to the grass around her.

The two walked forward and sat cross-legged in front of her. Wang Meihui smiled softly at the constantly held hands. She looked into the gold and silver eyes. "Lan Yi's and Baoshan Sanren's descendants?"

The two stared at her. She really did know it all, Wei Wuxian thought.

"Lan Wangji," Lan Zhan nodded to her.

"Wei Wuxian," Wei Ying smiled.

Wang Meihui smiled back. "Now I know your names. The two of you are a lot like them. A-Yi was beautiful, cold, determined. Baoshan was bubbly and bright, but also equally determined. Strangely, so are you. I believe the two of them are no more? Baoshan must be immortal but not Lan Yi?"

"Mn."

"Lady Lan's spirit stayed to guard the caves in Gusu, protect the Yin Iron. Once we took it, she left. Baoshan Sanren is still here, immortal. Nobody knows where," Wei Wuxian explained. "You know them?" He asked, eyes sparkling with wonder, before he quickly added, "Pardon my curiosity."

Wang Meihui sighed. "Child, curiosity should never be followed with an apology. The more curious you are, the more wonderful your life is. And yes, we were something of a trio in our time. I became immortal and retreated from the world much earlier than Baoshan."

Wei Wuxian mumbled an 'Oh.'

"Now, you're here for the Devil's Trademark?"

Wei Wuxian gasped and Wang Meihui chuckled. "No, I didn't know it beforehand. I can sense the darkness in you. Show your core."

When Wei Wuxian did, she frowned. Somehow, her anger was even more entrancing. "It's blackening. Have you found the solution? I believe it's with you."

Wei Wuxian dismissed the core-image and brought out the sceptre. Wang Meihui laid it on the grass and held it by the pole. "The Carmine Catastrophe. Let it absorb your curse."

"Curse!"

Wang Meihui looked up at Lan Wangji who was staring open-mouthed at her. "What? You didn't think an imprint from the Devil was a blessing, did you?"

"But a curse?"

She nodded. "Curse, because it's a supernatural power that will inflict terrible harm on him," she pointed to Wei Wuxian. "Which explains why it's hard to get rid of." She looked between Lan Wangji's horror and Wei Wuxian's nonchalance. Clearly, Wei Wuxian knew it all.