9: Surly Leader, Sultry Lady

There were still a few more hours to go before the Sun greeted hello. Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji were sitting on the wooden deck while Lan Xichen walked with Jiang Wanyin. Jiang Cheng had sprained a wrist and an ankle, so Lan Xichen had Jiang Cheng's left arm around his shoulder, and wrapped his own right arm around his upper waist, supporting him while they paced up and down the deck. Doctor Yunxi had suggested that they exercise his legs a bit, because they were growing more and more senseless from staying in bed for a week. So up and down they walked, while Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji watched them, holding hands, both grinning smugly — one expressly, one internally — at the older Jade's excessive caring.

They were thus enjoying the cool night breeze when another friend landed on the deck. He dismissed his barely used sabre and, flapping his golden fan, sat beside Wei Wuxian.

"Wei-xiong, Ji-xiong, hello!"

The two nodded.

"Er-Ge! Jiang-xiong!" Nie Huaisang waved his fan at the no-longer-subtle couple.

Lan Xichen slightly nodded, too worried about his Wanyin to say hello to anyone. Jiang Cheng looked up and waved back, happy to see another friend come to see him.

"Er, Wei-xiong?" Huaisang leant in to whisper.

"Hm?"

"Er-Ge's still mad? Wow."

Wei Wuxian grinned. "No, not mad at all of us, he's now mad at A-Cheng. Even if our Grumpy Shifu came right now, gege won't look away from his Wanyin," Wei Wuxian grinned. "Yunxi just said his ankle might have fractured had he held on longer, the sprain's that harsh. Now gege keeps scolding A-Cheng saying he should have sent a message sooner and what if Baozhai hadn't come for us."

"Jeez..." Nie Huaisang chuckled. "Though you know what? I'd love the chance to see Er-Ge bridal-carrying Jiang-xiong around," Huaisang hid his face behind his precious fan to protect himself from Jiang Cheng's glare.

"Why, I'd love to see that, too!" Wei Wuxian laughed out loud.

"Xichen..."

"Wanyin?"

"Can I go sit there?" Jiang Cheng couldn't stand it. For one thing, he was bored to death with all the walking. Secondly, he desperately wished to smack two laughing heads together.

"Wanyin, it's only been ten minutes."

"Oh come on! It feels like ten hours! Imma go sit," Jiang Cheng tried walking towards his sniggering friends when he felt a sharp grip on his waist. "Xichen, please!"

"If you want to go, then don't rush forward like that, it's not like you can walk on your own."

"EXACTLY! Jiang-xiong needs the helping hand," Nie Huaisang cracked up.

"A-Cheng, be a good boy and listen to Daddy," Wei Wuxian wagged his finger before clutching onto Lan Zhan's robes as he doubled up laughing.

"WHY YOU!" Jiang Cheng had had enough. He ripped himself away from Lan Xichen's grip and began to dash straight at the two — when a sharp needle-like pain darted up his leg. He toppled over. His face had almost hit the wooden floor when the cold, athletic hand grabbed him by the waist and pulled him up again.

"What did I tell you? You'll break your nose next." Lan Xichen frowned at him.

Jiang Cheng pouted. "Alright, alright, I'll– Ouch!"

"Wanyin!" Lan Xichen looked down to see the fall had led to the leg being twisted again. His palm slammed on his face before he sighed and picked the Jiang sect leader up.