43: Butterflies

Wei Wuxian lay on the grass, watching the clouds whisk by. He thought of all the times on that one-week trip he and his sweetheart had lied down just like that and simply stared up at the heavens. When A-Zhan had said "Mn" to everything he said. When all Wei Ying did was talk like there was no tomorrow. When Wei Ying used to smile.

Wei Wuxian was starting to wonder if he'd forgotten how to smile...

He heard a scuffle from nearby so he twisted his neck to see if his sons were coming. But instead, some distance from the ward he'd put up around him, he saw three sect leaders tumbling down the hill.

"Wei-xiong!" Nie Huaisang waved to him.

Wei Wuxian inclined his head solemnly and turned back to face the sky.

"Wuxian-di..." Lan Xichen stared at him.

Jiang Cheng shook his head and dragged the other two by their wrists to somewhere near the springs, shouting "Tch, ignore him, come along!"

Wei Ying didn't bother. He didn't care. He'd just lie there, watching the clouds, waiting for Chang'e to come so he could wave to her. Waiting for his husband to come smile at him. 

**********

The GusuLan Sect's compound was bustling today. It was exactly one month after the Mid-Autumn Festival. Wei Wuxian knew the end of his days was approaching so he had spent the past week with his sons, celebrating their success. The children had felt a change and so had Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng, who'd spent one night with the bereaved family. But they let him be, allowing him to make whatever decision he wished to. They knew better than to protest.

The children were doing better than before. Each had made themselves amazingly busy with work and studies so that they barely had time to mourn. Which was good. Jin Ling kept going on night hunts and rebuilding his sect, completing the Library steadily. Jingyi had become a full-time teacher of the sect, spending the entire morning and afternoon like his Father had, teaching. The evening would be spent at the Library, memorising every last book in it. Sizhui followed suit, though his mornings were busier with duties. And now he'd only get busier.

The gong sounded and the crowd split into two, making a path to the door of the Sect Leader's Hall. The entire GusuLan sect clapped as Lan Sizhui walked between the crowds, blushing and looking down, but not smiling. As he walked by, he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Daddy?"

Wei Wuxian smiled and gave him a good, strong hug in front of everyone. Forgetting all rules for the moment, the Lans cheered loudly, grinning wide. All loved their Hanguang-Jun. All knew the pain these two were going through and knew it was worse than anything they were feeling. So they yelled out encouragingly, "Master Wei!" and "Go, Sizhui!"

"Daddy..."

"Look there." Wei Ying pointed to the entrance to Hanguang-Jun's study. Lan Wangji's spirit was standing there, watching the scene. "There he is! Smiling, waving," Wei Wuxian beamed at him.

Though Lan Sizhui couldn't see, he knew his father wouldn't lie to him so ignoring the fact that hundreds of people were watching, like a kid who was told his mother was waving to him from the night sky, he looked at the study and waved. "Father!"

All the Lans turned to see, but of course, even Xichen and Qiren couldn't see him. Only his husband could. Nonetheless, every last Lan raised their hand and waved. Wei Wuxian blew him a kiss with a cheeky grin and smiled when he saw happy tears falling from the golden eyes. He patted Lan Sizhui's back. "Alright, now, go."

"Mn," Sizhui nodded and turned back towards the ceremony. Gripping his sword tighter, a smile finally lighting up his sunny face, he walked forward proudly and stood before Lan Xichen. Xichen smiled and handed him the final decree and Sect Leader Lan's Jade Token.

Sizhui bowed as he accepted them and holding his sword between his clasped hands, he vowed. "I hereby take this oath, to take on the duties of the Sect, to bear the responsibilities for the Sect, to protect and care for the Sect's People. I, Lan Yuan, Lan Sizhui, Sect Leader of the GusuLan Sect, vow to serve the public justly and honestly."

"And one more thing," Xichen laid a hand on his shoulder. "You need a title."

Sizhui nodded eagerly; Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji both smiled, having somehow already guessed what was on their brother's mind.

"Shuijing-Jun," Xichen announced to the Lans. "Crystal Lord."

"Hurray!" The Lans cheered and clapped. Waiting for Sizhui to step down from the stage, Jingyi and Lan Hao ran forth and lifted him onto their shoulders, raising him above the crowds while he grinned shyly. "Long live Shuijing-Jun!" All the Lans laughed and cheered.

All the Lans. Except Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji.

Wei Wuxian had slipped out of the crowd to stand with his beloved. They watched silently. "So you managed to come in the daylight today?"

"Mn. Got the chance to."

"That busy in the morning even after death?" Wei Wuxian chuckled.

Lan Wangji silently sighed with a smile. "See his hand?"

Wei Wuxian squinted to look and nodded. "Yes, I saw when I hugged him."

Both fathers smiled as they gazed at the hand-woven brown butterfly toy in Sizhui's pale grasp.

"So, Hanguang-Jun, what do you think of our butterfly-loving Shuijing-Jun?"

Lan Zhan crossed his hands behind his back and smiled proudly. "He really is our son."

Wei Wuxian nodded, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. "I'll miss him terribly. And those two idiots. And all of them. And gege. Maybe even Shifu!"

"You don't need to come–"

"Shut up."

"Mn."

The two watched for a while before Lan Wangji dissipated and Wei Wuxian gave his two Lan sons a warm hug. Possibly the last. Though of course, he dared not say that. Without a word more, he kissed their foreheads and walked back to his forest silently. 

**********

He waited a week. A full week. To see if any news came. Any bad news regarding the new Sect Leader Lan. But seeing as none came, he felt relieved.

So I guess I can leave them in peace, he thought as he held out his hand to catch the falling snowflakes. Winter had begun and the temperature was as low as it could be. Wei Ying had worn a new set of red robes his sons had left for him but didn't bother to wear anything more. He'd restricted the ward from allowing anyone in at all, wishing to spend the last few days in tranquil isolation. So none could even lend him a cloak. 

Not that he minded. What was the bitter winter frost compared to his frozen mind? A heart cracked like shattered ice. Lan Wangji's fragile snowflake of a husband had broken long ago. Of course the cold meant nothing. His feeble frame had been shivering since the fatal summer, let alone the icy winter.

Hua Cheng and Xie Lian had dropped by to say hello but hadn't stayed for too long, knowing their friend well enough. So Hua Cheng had sent his friends to accompany Wei Wuxian instead.

Wei Wuxian lay on the snowy grass, his hand waving gently around the air above his head, as an occasional butterfly landed on his fingertips. Hua Cheng's silver Wrath Butterflies were all over the place, tinkling and sparkling brighter than the snow as the sun began to sink behind the Gusu hills.