Chapter 45

"I'll be right back, Wanda." I tell her loudly over my shoulder as I go to open the door to exit our room.

"Where are you going?" I hear Wanda's worried voice over the sound of the shower.

I open the door and look back into the room and notice with a little jolt Wanda's head poking out of the bathroom door, her hair dripping wet, the water dripping down the long, dark strands of hair to fall on the floor. Her piercing eyes are locked on me, and she looks concerned, as her expression always seems to be nowadays when she looks at me. Normally, I would say it is getting rather annoying, but it's Wanda, and a selfish part of me likes the attention.

"I can get myself a snack, I'll be fine." I sigh and smile at her, hoping it'll be enough to appease her.

She frowns slightly, obviously not quite satisfied with my decision, but well, me having timed my exit quite perfectly, she doesn't have much of a choice unless she wants to chase me down the halls of Stark's tower naked. I wouldn't be much opposed to that, but I bet she isn't the biggest fan of the idea. She clearly isn't, as she pouts.

"Alright. But I'll be listening. If there's anything-"

"I know. Thank you." I say sincerely, which she accepts as her wet head retreats and she closes the door behind her, muffling the sounds of the shower.

I do the same, happy to have a little moment to myself. I'm not really hungry, but between all of the tests I've been subjected to after Wanda's training with Natasha and Steve -which all of them have come back with the exact same message; something's definitely wrong with me, but what that is is anyone's best guess at this point, and all of the overthinking I've been trying to suppress ever since the kiss last night so that Wanda wouldn't overhear, I feel like I'm going insane.

I walk down towards the kitchen in deep thought. I move slowly and carefully as I don't wish to have a repeat of my fainting in front of everyone earlier as we were leaving the training facility. It was incredibly embarrassing to wake up in Steve Roger's arms. My slow progress towards the kitchen again allows for some ample overthinking. You'd think my brain would be more pressed to figure out what is wrong with me, but it seems to think Wanda is our priority.

Every time I'm forced to relive that kiss I'm flooded by as much childlike giddiness as I am by absolute embarrassment as I relive the moment I spilled my tea all over Wanda. She said she didn't mind, but of course, she did mind. What if it made her completely regret it all? I have no idea of what she even is looking for -just a few days ago she was ready to rip apart the very fabric of time and space to retrieve her family. I would be kidding myself if she saw me as anything but someone to dull her loneliness while she is apart from them. And, as far as I know, she's only dated men. And that toaster. I huff, annoyed, and turn a corner, using my hand against the wall as a crutch of sorts.

I am almost there now, for which I am thankful as I feel like sitting down is going to be the only thing to keep me from emptying the content of my stomach; the spinning just makes the vertigo so much worse. My brain seems to take this as the perfect opportunity to play back all of my memories of Wanda since the kiss like some sort of 'best of' montage, giving me free rein to overanalyze them next. She's been completely fine, very supportive and kind, but she hasn't made any indication of either wanting to repeat the kiss, or never wanting to speak of it ever again. Rather, I almost feel like she's being so protective and over-helpful to make up for the fact that we haven't had the opportunity to talk of it yet, and that she probably views it as a mistake. It was me who initiated it, after all. Although, a small voice in my head fights back, it wasn't like she's totally innocent in this and didn't give you any signals. Remember "don't think", hello?