Chapter 53

"Livvy?"

I can't believe it, it's like it's something my brain just cannot seem to even compute. I can't even quite feel it at first. But something is wrong. Why would she hurt me? I thought I felt something was not right. But hugging her, holding her, looking into her eyes, it felt like her.

I feel my eyes water, blurring my sight of her. She holds me tightly against her and I can almost imagine everything being right. And yet I can't ignore the blinding pain in my gut. I look down, seeing warm blood stain her pale hand, holding a sharp knife which she has driven into my gut all the way to the hilt. I look at the sight, still not fully understanding.

I look up at her again, looking into those eyes in which I always find strength and belonging. Now they're filled with hate. That is what makes my heart hurt even more than the steel in me that doesn't belong.

My knees buckle, and I feel myself beginning to slide down, my entire body shaking with adrenaline and scarlet. She just looks. My scarlet furiously turns and turns in me, not knowing what is wrong, what is causing me pain, and more importantly, who to hurt. It tries, but I won't let it.

I won't hurt her.

Then Stark's suit yanks her away from me and all there's left to do is fall. My head feels so light. I feel weightless. Just before my head hits the ground someone softens my fall. For a minute I think it's Liv, and that she's there to save me. But it's not her, she isn't here.

Nat's pale face swims into view, shouting something while pressing down on my stomach. I wish she would stop, I can't breathe. My head lolls to the left and I am lying right next to Livvy. She's still, her eyes closed. I can almost imagine that we're just lying in bed. Maybe we are. She's sleeping. I want to sleep too.

"No, no, Wanda, hey, look at me." Someone gently slaps my cheek.

What?

"There you go. Hey, baby girl-" Natasha.

Why is she crying?

"No, don't speak. Just look at me. You'll be fine. You're so brave."

Now the bed is moving. No, I'm not on a bed. I'm being carried. I hear a tiny sob leave my body involuntarily as it feels like I'm being ripped apart. Where's Livvy? Is she okay?

"Stop." I whisper, tears running freely down my cheeks.

"Wanda, you're safe. You're hurting me, Wanda, I'm trying to help." Steve's familiar, calming voice reaches me and I realize my scarlet is burning him, trying to make the pain stop.

"There you go." He says, and I close my eyes.

"Wanda, don't go." Natasha's voice makes me fight the urge to just sleep.

Now I'm being placed down again. I miss Steve's warmth. I feel cold. I look around, bewildered. Am I on Stark's plane? Natasha's right there next to me, still pressing down on me.

"Let's go! Now!" I can tell she's shouting, but I can barely hear her.

"Hey, hey, stay with me here. We're almost there. You're doing so good." I'm shaken back into the pain. I wish she would just let me be.

"Hey Wanda, I know I don't know you that well, but I think we're going to be good friends." Natasha smiles at me, but she doesn't look happy, and her warm hand softly caresses my cheek. "We're going to get you all patched up, just you see."
"Where's Livvy?" I manage to croak out, not seeing her anywhere.

"She'll be fine, Wanda." Natasha holds me in place, and even in my state, I can tell she's lying. "Wanda, Wanda, come on, don't fight me here. You need to lay still. You're losing too much blood."
I try to relax, but all of my muscles are cramped up, shaking. The world is spinning. She hurt me. I feel ill. My scarlet still furiously tries to understand what is wrong with me, what is causing my pain. What is making my body fail. Why didn't you save me? I think, not understanding why it would let me get hurt. It always protects me. Deep down, I know the answer. A little nagging voice speaks up in the back of my mind.