|27|

Seth and Orion had changed things, instead of conducting work in an office like most other Alpha's did, they decided it would be best to have an open court where anyone who wanted to could watch them work. It had been Orion's idea, figuring it would make it easier for the pack to trust them this way; considering Damien had been sneaky and private about his work, they agreed it would be best to do the opposite of what he had done.

Both Seth and Orion knew whilst they were all happy that Damien was gone, Seth and Orion still had to prove that they were the leaders they were waiting for. Seth sat in the wooden chair that had been placed for him to sit on at the head of the hall, Orion to his right in her own seat. The chairs were somewhat uncomfortable, but he preferred it that way, the discomfort would make sure he was paying attention to everything that was brought to his attention.

Orion's chair was far more comfortable, she didn't exactly agree with Seth, but she figured if it worked then it was his choice to implement. Besides, perhaps it would mean that in the evenings, he would ask her to rub his back, and she would not turn down any opportunity to put her hands on her mate.

Even though it was only their first day on the job, there were already people lining up inside the hall to get their help and attention. Damien had left this pack in an absolute mess; this was not just a job for an Alpha and Luna. Which is why Seth's first order of business was to announce that he would be selecting a Beta.

He and Orion had talked briefly about it that morning whilst getting ready and eating breakfast, and they were both in agreement of what needed to be done. Seth looked over at Orion briefly, nodding as if to say 'you're absolutely sure about this?' Orion nodded back in agreement, the small smile on the corner of her lips encouraging Seth to do what he had to.

"Luna Orion and I have discussed the possible candidates having met the entire pack over the last few days, as well as what we need and expect from the person we appoint for this position." Seth's voice rang out, loud and clear in the room. It was as if all present had stopped breathing, every pair of eyes rested on Seth, hanging onto his every word. "Orion and I feel that our Beta must be: well connected with the pack, especially since we're very new here. Intelligent, diplomatic and trustworthy- to us, but also to this entire pack. But above all, they must have the courage to say and do what is right, even if it goes against what is mainstream."

"We know that there are quite a few of you that would fit this position finely," Orion spoke from her place beside Seth. "However, Seth and I have agreed that there has been one man, who has continuously shown these qualities, unwaveringly since we have arrived."

"Antony Huang," Seth looked around the hall, his gaze falling on the man he was looking for. He raised his hand, inviting him to step forward. "Do you accept this position that I am offering to you?"

"Yes, I do." Antony's voice was firm and resolute, projecting across the hall.

"Do you understand and accept the responsibility that comes with this title, and agree to shoulder it of your own free will?" Orion asked, feeling the weight of her own responsibility as she asked.

"I do."

"Do you agree to use this authority to service this community, and Orion and I as leaders? To always do what is right, and best for this pack?" Seth asked. Whilst neither Seth nor Orion had ever seen anyone appointed with the role of Beta before, Seth supposed that this was the best way to introduce Antony into the role. It was after all, a duty to both the pack and its leaders, and a choice for Antony to make for himself and this way, Antony could give him a chance to make those choices for himself.

"I do," Antony nodded.

His mate watched on with pride as her mate found his friend, and also the purpose he had been searching for over the last few years. She had watched him, since they had found each other 3 years earlier, struggle with not finding work that fulfilled him. Lisbeth had been their sole provider whilst Antony struggled to uphold his duty as a warrior with Damien as Alpha. It was nice to be able to see him finally be able to make a choice he actually believed in.