The joys of travelling

Percy POV:

We found a place to camp, it was about a hundred miles from the main road on a marshy clearing in the woods that local kids have been using for parties. The ground was flattened with soda cans and fast-food wrappers. Medusa gave us some supplies and I got the tent out of my backpack for everyone to share so we're protected from the weather... or wild animals. We didn't light a fire since we already had enough excitement for one day from Medusa and the Furies and didn't want to attract anything else. We decided to sleep in shifts so one of us could be on the lookout for monsters, wild animals, or mortal police since the oh so great James Theseus Waters had to have a rich step-daddy to go look for his, oh so precious step-son getting half of America looking for him and the bounty over his head. I took the first shift whilst Luke was clutching onto a blanket in the corner and snored almost as soon as he hit the pillow, Grover deciding to sleep outside of the tent found a low hanging branch to lay on before leaning against the bark and looked towards the dark night sky. "Go to sleep Grove" I told him "I'll make sure to wake you up if I spot anything."

He nodded but still didn't close his eyes "It makes me sad Percy."

"What does the fact you're stuck on the quest or the fact mortals have polluted the place to look like an overside garbage dump?" 

"The pollution Perce, all the garbage and look." He pointed to the sky "You can't even see the stars anymore."

I hated the pollution myself, I always admired the stars when I could but you can't find many places to see them anymore. It must be a terrible time to live as a satyr or any type of nature spirit these days "I hear you Grove but there isn't much we can do about it anymore, we can protect what's left but it's near impossible to get back to beauty the world once was." 

He looked into the distance with a longing look in his eyes "Most of your species, humans don't care about the wild Perce it's good to know that at least one of them does. One day I'll find Pan and we will be able to restore the world to its glory."

"Grove I'm sure you'll find Pan but you gotta realize even if you do find him he isn't going to be able to fix everything you and all the other satyrs and nature spirits are going to have to protect what's left because you can't fix what's already been taken its dam near impossible."

Grover had a tear in his eye before responding "I guess you're right but when I get my searchers license I'm going to find him Perce, the world needs him." 

A strange breeze rustled through the clearing, temporarily overpowering the stench of trash and muck. It bought the smell of berries, wildflowers, and clean rainwater, things that

might've once been in these woods. I felt nostalgic for things that I'd never known. "Tell me about the search Grove."

"The God of Wild Places disappeared two thousand years ago." He told me "A sailor of the coast of Ephesos heard a mysterious voice call out from the shore, 'Tell them that the great god Pan has died!' When humans heard the news, they believed it. They've been pillaging Pan's kingdom ever since. But for satyrs, Pan was our lord and master. He protected us and wild places on the earth. We refuse to believe that he died. In every generation, the bravest satyrs pledge their lives to find Pan. They search the Earth, exploring all the wildest places, hoping to find where he is hidden and wake him from his sleep." 

"And you want to be a searcher?"

"It's my life's dream," he said, "My father was a searcher, and my uncle Ferdinand... one of the statues back there -" 

"Oh right, sorry." 

Grover shook his head "He knew the risks of trying to find Pan, no satyr has ever come back alive."