Chariot racing

Percy/Nerva POV:

The morning of the race was hot and humid. Fog lay low on the ground like sauna steam. Millions of birds were roosting in trees - fat grey-and-white pigeons except they didn't coo like regular pigeons. They made this annoying metallic screeching sound that reminded me of a submarine radar. 

The racetrack had been built in a grassy field between the archery range and the woods. Hephetatues's cabin had used the bronze bulls, which were completely tame since they'd had their heads smashed in, to plough an oval track in a matter of minutes.

There were rows of stone steps for the spectators - Tantalus, the satyrs, a few dryads, and all the campers who weren't participating. Dionysus didn't show. He's never up before ten o'clock, which I always found funny since gods don't really need sleep. 

"Right!" Tantalus announced as the teams began to assemble. A naiad had bought him a platter of pastries, and as he spoke his right hand chased a chocolate eclair across the judge's table. "You all know the rules. A quarter-mile track. Twice around to win. Two horses per chariot. Each team will consist of a driver and a fighter. Weapons are allowed. Dirty tricks are expected. But try not to kill anybody!" Tantalus smiled at us like we were all naughty children. "Any killing will result in harsh punishment. No s'mores at the campfire for a week! Now ready your chariots!"

Beckendorf led the Hephaestus onto the track. They had a sweet ride made of bronze and iron - even the horses, which were magical automatons like the Colchis bulls, I had no doubt their chariot had all kinds of mechanical traps and more fancy options than a fully loaded Maserati. 

The Ares chariot was blood-red and pulled by two grisly horse skeletons. Clarisse climbed aboard with a batch of javelins, spiked balls, caltrops, and a bunch of other nasty toys.

Apollo's chariot was trim and graceful and completely gold, pulled by two beautiful palominos. Their fighter was armed with a bow, though he had promised not to shoot regular pointed arrows at opposing drivers. 

Hermes's chariot was green and kind of old-looking as if it hadn't been out of the garage in years. It didn't look like anything special, but it was manned by the Stoll brothers, and I shuddered to think what dirty tricks they'd come up with.

Athena's chariot was grey and pristine-looking as if it hadn't been touched since it was made. It looked as if it had many secrets around it and was manned by Malcome Pace and Elizabeth Lopez. They act like twins and know each other inside and out, they've been keeping to the crowd ever since Annabeth betrayed us but if anything that just made them stronger. 

That left two chariots, Zeus's and Poseidon's. Poseidon's chariot had the Cyclops, Tyson as the driver. It was blue with waves and horses decorating it. James was carrying metal balls and spiked sticks and even though they are not the best of weapons they can do a bit of damage.

Before the race began, I jumped into my chariot so I could talk to Luke about my dream. He perked up when I mentioned Grover but then looked over to James as if he was contemplating something. "So Grover was kidnapped by a monster and is now in the Sea of Monsters with the one thing that could save camp?" Luke asked

"Yeah, that's about right."

"We should consult the Oracle."

I shivered, remembering when I had to get a prophecy last year and how I almost died.

"We'll ask for a quest at the campfire tonight."

He nodded and before he could say anything else the conch horn sounded.

"Charioteers!" Tantalus called. "To your mark!" 

"Let's do this," Luke said as he went to harness the pegasi.