Ch 3 : Cassandra (2)

"Ho, and why does this guy want me dead? "

Then again no words were needed except for her magic aura.

"...Because he does not want you to succeed the throne."

"What?" Athelinda voiced her confusion.

"Princess , you are older than Princess Athanasia. The oldest gets the throne, unless the emperor personally selects an heir. And as of right now the emperor has shown no particular interest in Princess Athanasia. " Cassandra explained and Athelinda went and sat on a chair because she knew this would be pretty damn long.

"So this Duke supports Princess Athanasia?" Athelinda asked as she placed her right leg on her left one.

"No. He supports Princess Jenette. "

Athelinda's eyebrows perked over the mention of this princess.

"There is a hidden princess , currently being protected and raised at the Alpheus Mansion. She is the true and most pure princess who deserves to be on the throne."

"Okay~ so basically, why do you have to kill me? I mean isn't Princess Athanasia also a threat to Princess Jenette's way to the throne."

"Princess Athanasia is younger than Princess Jenette,  whereas you are older than them both..." Cassandra's voice lowered before rising up again, "making you a hindrance!"

She suddenly attacked with her blade and aimed at Athelinda's neck but once again in vain.

Clatter

"Is that so? Say , I'm curious, How do you know all this?"

"Heh! I am Duke Alpheus's most trusted subordinate. He trusted me with Princess Jenette's secret and told me to assassinate any threats to her and so I will! Kill! You!" Cassandra shouted as she began trying to attack Athelinda several times again.

Cassandra had a spark in her eyes. A burning desire to achieve something. She seemed so loyal to the Duke, which made Athelinda slightly jealous and so she decided , she would make Cassandra 'hers'.

The spark in Cassandra's eyes, her undying loyalty and her foolishness.

"Say, what would you get from all this? "

"..."

Cassandra didn't wanna give up more information to the six year old and simply remained quiet.

"Do you really think the Duke would trust a commoner such as yourself?"

The room was silent, Cassandra had stopped uselessly attacking Athelinda and was now glaring at her.

"The nobles are cautious people, the Duke will kill you after you accomplish your task. "

"What would you know! you unworthy brat! "

"Oh I know. A lot more than you think. "

What Cassandra wants , what she gains from all this. It's a sense of purpose. A sense of being useful. The Duke is manipulating her. And Athelinda could see it in her eyes.

"The Duke is using you. And he will throw you away when you've done his work."

"You're wrong! Duke Alpheus will never! And Princess Jenette too! "

"You think they care? About a maid such as yourself? They don't. "

Cassandra gritted her teeth and her grip on her dagger became tighter as she clenched her fist around it.

"I will not allow you to let your tongue run as you wish! Now die!" Cassandra spoke as she charged once again to attack.

Sigh

"As I said, it's useles-"

Crack

The barrier cracked and Cassandra's dagger almost slit Athelinda's throat but she dodged just in time and formed a new barrier.

"Ugh! No matter how many barriers you make I will break each and every one of them!" Cassandra shouted and began attacking once again.

This woman...she was observing the barrier for any weak spots all while I talked and aimed for that exact spot... this isn't good, my mana levels are dropping quickly.

"Then let's test it." Athelinda spoke.

"What are you-"

"Go back to the Duke. And tell him I'm dead. " Athelinda smirked.

Cassandra stopped attacking and decided to listen to Athelinda's idea.

"If the Duke praises your achievements, then you can come back and kill me. But...if he tries to kill you..." Athelinda smiled at her.

"And what if you call the guards and tell them about me while I'm gone?"

"Oh don't worry, I'll stay right here~" Athelinda stated as she shifted in her chair, all while maintaining a smile.

It was stupid for Cassandra to trust the words of a child, but that look in the princess's eyes. For some reason, Cassandra felt like she could trust them. She felt like she could trust the princess, no matter how ridiculous it sounds.

Cassandra thoughts about it for a moment. She had had doubts about the Duke before and now she could confirm it. And as Athelinda had stated, she could come back and kill her if the Duke does indeed not betray her.

The barrier disappeared and Athelinda walked up to her, "Here take this necklace. It has a teleportation spell incase you get in trouble."

Cassandra would've refused it, but the necklace itself was quite eye-catching so she took it and left the room through the window.

------

Creak~

The door to Duke Alpheus's office opened. It was completely dark inside except for a few candles that sat on the desk behind which the Duke sat.

"My Lord, I have returned."

"How did it go?" Duke Alpheus who was observing papers asked.

"The Princess is dead. "

"...You have done well." The Duke stated as he let go of the papers in his hand and looked at the woman.

I knew it, the Duke would never betray me.

"Then...My lord , I will resign from the Palace by tomorrow and begin to serve Princess Jenette. "

"I'm afraid, Jenette doesn't need any maids as of right now."

"...Then I shall work in the estate."

"I don't need any workers either."

"Then-"

"I have no more use for you. But, you know far too much and so."

Creak~

"Huh-A-"

Cassandra shut her eyes close.

Swoosh

"Back already?"

"huh?"

Cassandra opened her eyes to see. jeweled blue eyes. She was too stunned to speak, and was processing everything that happened.

"He tried to kill you, didn't he?"

"..."

Cassandra was too shocked to answer.

"It's late, I'm sure you're tired, head back for now. We'll talk in the morning. Make up your mind by then." Athelinda smiled.

Cassandra didn't try to kill her anymore and instead quietly left her room.

I guess the shock was too much for her... oh well, makes it easier for me to bring her on my side.

◇◇◇
Vote and Comment!