Ch 14 : Father

Days passed as the two princess enjoyed their time with their precious pets. Athelinda had been going to the forbidden library with Claude everyday for an hour or two and this day was no exception.

The only difference today was, "Join us for tea today." Claude ordered Athelinda as they stepped out of the library.

"It'd be an honour." Athelinda replied sounding a bit surprised.

----

And thus, the royals were having tea together in one of the many gardens.

"Lin!" Athanasia exclaimed as she saw Athelinda coming to the tea table.

Athelinda sat down between Claude and Athanasia, he seat being closer to Athanasia.

"Have you tried Lippe tea?!" Athanasia asked enthusiastically.

"Lippe Tea? I don't think so."

"Daddy! Can Lin taste the tea you're drinking as well?"  Athanasia asked hoping Claude would allow it and ask Felix to bring tea for Athelinda.

"You're too young for tea. Drink your juice instead." Claude told them.

Athanasia pouted. "I wanted Lin to try it..."

"It's fine Athy, I enjoy orange juice instead." Athelinda tried to cheer her sister up.

A cool gentle breeze passed the royals causing the princesses hair to dance in the air. Athelinda's hair was longer compared to Athanasia's and it was straighter as well. The sisters giggled amongst each other as they saw each other staring at the others hair.

Zuri and Raven were running around the garden, jumping on each other

Athelinda had lately been trying to form a mental connection with herr divine beast.

Since the beast is made up of her excess mana, it is still her mana. So if she can control and channel her thoughts to the mana, Zuri would be able to do whatever Athelinda asks her to even if they're far apart.

For now Athelinda only asked Zuri to 'Come here.' through her thoughts.

And in less than a minute, Zuri ran up to her and hopped on Athelinda's lap.

Athelinda puffed her cheeks proudly.

"Raven! Come here boy! " Athanasia called out to her beast but Raven simply ran away into the gardens. leaving a disappointed Athanasia.

"No animals, on the table." Claude told Athelinda, and she loosened her grip on Zuri, allowing her to follow behind Raven.

The little princesses began to fill their mouths with cake. As they did, Athelinda couldn't help but glance at Claude after every bite.

"What is it?" Claude asked.

"...Your Majesty, have you ever-"

"Change your way of addressing me."

Claude told her as he sipped his tea, a frown forming from his eyebrows.

"Then...Emperor..?" Athelinda asked confused.

Claude's gritted his teeth at the title. Anger being visible on his face Athanasia panicked and decided to suggest, "Call him Daddy!"

Athanasia's bubbly voice reached the ears of both royals, causing a series of emotions to appear on their faces.

Athanasia mentally screamed over her suggestions.

"You-" Claude spoke towards Athanasia.

"Father." Athelinda decided as she interrupted his words.

A moment of silence remained as Claude once again began sipping his tea. Athelinda was thinking why would Claude suggest a change of address , now?

"The reason for my sudden decision is because, if you do end up leaving Obelia and going to Arlanta for your studies. During your time there, you will be representing Obelia. Your manner of speech, the way you walk, the way you present yourself. Everything you do will represent Obelia." Claude spoke before bringing the tea cup to his lips again.

Athelinda listened attentively to each and every word.

"No matter your origins, you undoubtedly have jeweled eyes. And thus you are a royal princess of Obelia. But if people hear you addressing me formally, they will think that Obelia has not accepted you as a princess. They will look down on you. They will look down on Obelia."

Athelinda looked at Claude in awe and admiration. The way he spoke, captured her full attention.

"By addressing me more casually, you will be showing them that you have a stable relationship with the Emperor, and thus Obelia. And that you are not to be underestimated. " Claude elaborated.

"I understand!" Athelinda exclaimed with her eyes sparkling from determination and pride.

Claude formed a small smile as he saw the determined look and had a look of pride himself.

Then he noticed the youngest princess being awfully quiet. He looked in her direction and saw Athanasia placing a hand over her mouth. Red fluid emerging from her tiny mouth, staining her dress and hands. Her expression filled with shock as she slowly closed her eyes and fell to the ground.

"ATHANASIA!"

"ATHY!"

"PRINCESS!"

Claude, Athelinda and Felix all shouted in unison as the princess fell.

"SUMMON THE MAGICIANS!" Claude ordered and Felix ran off to do so.

Claude held Athanasia in his lap as he channeled his mana to her heart which was beating at an extremely fast rate.

Athelinda watched in horror as her sister was covered in blood. Her sister. Athy. She wanted to help. Do something. But what?

Claude picked Athanasia and began walking inside towards his Palace.

"Athelinda!" Claude shouted once before leaving the princess standing alone.

Athelinda followed Claude as he was making large strides towards his chambers.

Suddenly Athelinda stopped. Claude turned around to see why the footsteps had stopped. He was already frustrated by the unexpected turn of events and he didn't know how to deal with both of his children at the same time.

"Athelinda!" Claude shouted as he turned around, anger in his voice.

"Ah...Fa-ther...I-" Athelinda spoke weakly before collapsing herself. Blood spreading on the marble floor of the Palace. 

The last thing Athelinda saw before losing consciousness was a worried Claude , with his eyes widened in surprise. He looked afraid.

And the last thing she heard was her own name being called out by Claude in a worried tone.

"ATHELINDA!"

◇◇◇
Vote and Comment!