Ch 9 : Snake

"...No." Athelinda replied, making Claude raise his eyebrows in curiosity.

"Why is that?"

"I'm sure you're already aware Your Majesty. That woman was just using me. Since the moment she saw my jeweled eyes, she thought I'd be of use to her. She was quite poor but she worked hard to raise me up well, so that on the day she reveals me to the royals, she would be rewarded for her services. " Athelinda eyes expressed sadness as she spoke. She looked at the crescent moon which illuminated the sky. "You knew that Your Majesty, which is why you didn't give her any rewards."

Claude began walking again. "Do you hate her, for using you?"

"I don't. Even if she was using me, Liara took very good care of me. Although her intentions weren't pure, that is understandable. Poverty isn't a very comfortable state." Athelinda replied, still gazing at the moon.

Liara Stewgur. The name no longer held any significance for her. They're relationship as child and guardian was only for their own sets of benefits. 

Liara needed money and Athelinda was her best card for it. And Athelinda needed someone to safely raise her. After all, she could've died from starvation on the streets if Liara hadn't saved her.

They both gained from each other.

Athelinda had asked Cassandra to take out fifty percent of the money used on Athelinda's clothings and other useless things, and deliver it to Liara Stewgur's house.

Cassandra had become quite a loyal puppet since she performed the task without anyone finding out. Thus , Athelinda wore simple dresses instead of extravagant ones. She had already given Liara a large sum of money, thus both of them had recieved their desired results.

They were now , strangers.

Athelinda had decided that. Her debt had now been paid, but she would still send next months fifty percent to Liara as well.

Claude stopped again. This time Athelinda looked back at him. He didn't ask her any questions, so then why?

Claude's eyes were glowing an icy blue. His eyes were filled with intimidation. But it was not targeted at Athelinda. No, Claude was looking somewhere else.

"Assassins?" Athelinda asked as she observed the area. Claude was slightly surprised by her calm expressions.

"...Yes."

"Then , you should head back Your Majesty. I'll go on ahead myself."

Claude had this baffled expression on his face as Athelinda pushed him away to jump off of his arms.

"What... do you think you're doing?" Claude asked his tone sounding Ice cold.

"I'm heading back to my Palace."

"No. You're going to Ruby Palace with me. Felix can deal with the assassins."

"Are you scared,  Your Majesty?" Athelinda asked.

Claude's spread his aura around her and this time it was actually extremely terrifying. Athelinda felt a shiver as she looked at Claude, but continued speaking anyway.

"The maids are still at Jade Palace."

"The assassins are most likely targeting you." Claude stated.

Cassandra isn't exactly out of danger either

"I'm not afraid of them. " Athelinda declared and began walking towards the Jade Palace. "Secondly, Why do you care? Didn't you want to see how long I survive? and whether I am worthy of my name? "