22.

Unbeknownst to Citlali, Paul had carried her in that night, and he knows if she had been awake, she would have been very upset

Unbeknownst to Citlali, Paul had carried her in that night, and he knows if she had been awake, she would have been very upset. Though, the reason why she is upset is pretty obvious. Waking up on a couch with your ex boyfriend holding your hand while he sleeps on the floor is not exactly how she wanted to wake up, but it happened and neither one of them wants to talk about it. Well, Paul does but not for the reason one would think.

"Don't you think it's been long enough?"

"I decide when it's been long enough." Citlali glared at her brother. She couldn't believe it. The audacity he had, to quickly move on and be on Paul's side now that they had made up. Though she is being a little biased, it doesn't change what she has been feeling. Which is betrayal.

"He tried apologizing, and you refused to accept it, let alone listen to what he has to say. What more do you want from him?"

"Citlali, if I may." Her aunt Reyna who she hadn't seen since the day they she met her, spoke up. "I personally think it's great that you didn't immediately jump right back into his arms. It's good to really think about things."

"I agree." Ms. Caldwell admitted who immediately earned a squeeze to the hand by Billy Black. Who was sitting next to her in the dinning room.

"Anyway." Reyna quickly clapped her hands. "I need to go. I will see you around." She quickly walked out of the Black residence, leaving four uncomfortable teens and two nervous adults sitting around the dinning table. While Jacob and Nolan were sitting at the ends of the table, it left Citlali sitting between Julissa and Rachel Black, who had arrived home days ago. Frankly, surprising everyone. Although the girls didn't quite know each other, growing up on the Rez, they were aware of each other, which is why it wasn't too awkward when they met. They had greeted one another like old friends.

"I'm assuming this is a important matter." Nolan was the first to speak after a long silence.

"It is, actually." Ms. Caldwell placed a hand on her sons comfortingly. "Billy and I have news we want to share, and thought you should be the first to know. Why don't you tell them." She looked over at the male who always seemed to be intimidating to Citlali but today, for the first time she saw him looking very vulnerable. She could tell he was struggling with himself and she didn't like that one bit.

"Listen, the reason we gathered you around, is because this is a special occasion. My Rachel is home." He sent his daughter a smile. "Nolan and Julissa just had their wedding, everything is going great. But this is for Citlali and Nolan. I wanted to personally ask you, for permission to marry your mother."

"Wait, what!" The Caldwell siblings looked between the two adults in not just surprise but happiness for their mother. To which the two immediately stood up, and rushed over to Billy's side, pulling him into a hug.

Although, it was never spoken, Citlali and Nolan know this is a big deal for their mother. For so long, they had watched their mother wait for their fathers return, that's just the woman she always was; she just loves and gives and in return she only ever knew heartbreak. Even though the two siblings feel guilty about keeping their mother in the dark about their fathers new life, they still stand by their decision. They knew one she would choose to move on, that she would no longer hold on and it happened. Their mother would finally be happy and she won't be alone anymore. That's all they ever cared about.

"I'm assuming that's a yes?"

"Yes!" Citlali pulled away attempting to wipe one of her tears away, but Billy beat her to it.

It was unspoken, but Billy Black knows that he isn't just marrying Ms. Caldwell. She's a package deal, she comes with two kids of her own, and he will love them like his own as he hopes she will do the same and he knows she will. Because these last few weeks, while she's been staying over, she's been making sure his son was being fed and that Rachel felt comfortable to the point where she had stopped spending the night.

"Rachel? Jacob, what do you think?"

"I'm just happy your happy." Jacob sent them a smile as he nodded, agreeing with what he just said. Rachel on the other hand. She wasn't exactly mad about it, but she was bothered. Bothered because Unlike Jacob, it had taken so long for her and Rebecca to move on from their mothers death. Sure she was happy her father wouldn't be alone, but it hurt knowing he was ready to move on, which she knew would happen one day. She just hates she wasn't here from the beginning of their relationship. It was kind of just thrown at her.

"Me too." She finally nodded sending them a smile. "I'm glad you found someone to love you and take care of you." She wiped a tear away which led Ms.Caldwell to go over and hug the girl while Nolan went back to his wife's side just so she wouldn't feel left out, but she knew better than to feel that way. She was there because she was now part of the family, but still it wasn't here place and she understood.

"So mom." Nolan spoke. "Backyard wedding?"

"No." She hook her head. "This is a us thing. Tiny ceremony in the courtroom and small diner with my family. That's it. I don't want to make a big deal out of it."

Meaning, there's no money, Citlali thought. It was the reason Nolan had a backyard wedding, although it was big, not much was spent on anything besides the food to feed all those people. "That sounds like a great idea." She sent her mother a smile with her arm still on Billy's shoulder.

"Let's get a picture." Julissa had showed up urging everyone to gather around Billy and Ms.Caldwell. "We need to remember this moment."

"Yes, and we can send it to Rebecca." Billy agreed making his now fiancé smile.

Ms.Caldwell couldn't help but cherish that moment. The smiles, the happy laughters. She knew this was it. They were going to be one happy family and that really all she ever wanted.