Unfamiliar Places

Evan:

   Beep beep beep beep

I woke up to my alarm blaring from the bedside table, groaning. I looked around and didn't recognize my surroundings for a split second. I squinted at the unfamiliar alarm clock before remembering what had happened.

Right. New town. With a sigh, I got out of bed to prepare myself for the day. I went to the bathroom to shower. Not having any crazy products or a particular shower and skincare routine, I was in and out pretty quickly. I wrapped myself in a towel, examining myself in the mirror. Tired, forest-green eyes stared back at me, standing out against my pale complexion and pairing well with my dirty-blonde hair. I left the bathroom to face the world.

On my way back to my room to get dressed, I knocked on my brother's door. "Noah get your ass out of bed, it's Monday!" I shout through the door. When I heard a not so pleased groan and then several half-mumbled curses tossed at me coming from the other side, I headed to the end of the hall.

Once I'd reached my own room, I made a beeline for my dresser, grabbing a pair of black jeans, a white t-shirt, and some boxers off the top of it (I never said I kept my clothes in my dresser). I found some socks in the nest of blankets and sheets on my bed and put those on too (I liked to call them my 'holy socks,' because they had holes at the heels and the toes)

Without giving it much thought, I put on red converse. I stared my piercings down for a moment before deciding they were fine as they were (having double ear piercings sometimes made it a little difficult to match everything in an outfit–who knew?) I made sure the nose piercing was either the same color of the earrings it at least a color that went well with the outfit. For the tongue piercing, I didn't really need to match that with the outfit because people found it hot whether it was candy-cane patterned or just plain silver.

Each of my ears are double pierced, and I have one in my nose and tongue. With a satisfied smile, I grabbed my stuff and headed for the kitchen. Not having much, I put on a pot of coffee and put some bread in the toaster.

While I was grabbing the butter and strawberry jam from the fridge(because fuck grape jelly, jam is superior), my brother stumbled in, still not quite awake(he's not a morning person).

"So," Noah flopped down in a dining chair. "I'm gonna go ahead and say we need groceries?"

"Yeah, I gotta call Aunt Sofie after school and let her know we're settled in so she can send us what we need for the month." Our parents left us to fend for ourselves when I was twelve. Our Aunt Sofie (Dad's sister, thankfully, because mom's sister was an even bigger bitch than mom was) took it upon herself to make sure we had what we needed. Because we live on opposite sides of the state, she sends us what we need or brings it with her on her visits every other month. We get enough for rent and food, and if we need more, all we have to do is let her know. Though we try not to be too much of a burden, she insists we're no trouble at all.

"Alright. I'll make the list and we can go tomorrow." Finishing breakfast, we put our dishes in the sink to be washed later and headed to school. Upon arrival, we made our way to the main office to get our schedules. Noah was a freshman, and I was a senior, so this was where we would part for the day. We said our goodbyes and two different secretaries  from the front office took us to our homerooms. Walking into my first period, I looked over my classmates and sighed. Let's get this shit over with.