Out on the Lane

Evan:

Bowling?! I can do plenty of things, but bowling has never been one of those things. I don't think I've ever won a bowling game in my life. My brother has always kicked my ass at it, just like I've always kicked his ass at Just Dance. Hopefully, I wouldn't humiliate myself at the bowling alley. I think the last time I bowled was when I was thirteen, at Noah's birthday party that Aunt Sophie threw(it had only been the three of us, a large cheese pizza, ice cream cake, a few gifts, and bowling). 

This is not going to be fun! Why did I agree to this?!

After the bell for last period rang, I left the room and went to find my brother. He seemed to like hanging with Mark when we all hung out and I was otherwise occupied by the twins.

I'll ask him if he wants to come with us to the bowling alley. It was that or let him go home where he'll probably just play games by himself. It's Friday, so if he has homework it could be done after or in the next two days. Still, I never liked leaving him by himself. He got lonelier faster than I did, so I tried to include him in most things, even if it was with my friends. Actually, maybe I should ask him if he's made any friends? He always sits with me at lunch. Are my friends his friends? Oh no, what if I've deprived him of friends his own age because I let him be clingy?!

Lost in thought, I didn't even realize I made it to my locker until Noah called me, waving his hand in front of my face. 

"There's my brother. You were zoned out pretty hard. You good?" Noah asked. I nodded, putting away the last of my stuff and shitting the locker, spinning the dial. Noah used to ask me why I always did that, but when he'd gotten his first lover in middle school and then had his pencil case stolen within the first week of school starting, he started doing it too.

The reason I'd done it was similar, but also because I was paranoid. No one had ever tried to steal from me since, it was just the one time, same for Noah. But we still did it, just in case. 

"Hey, I'm going to the bowling alley with Mark, the twins, and their friend Holly. Do you wanna come with or do you wanna just head home and hang there by yourself?"

"Mark's going?" Noah asked. 

I nodded. Noah shrugged. "Yeah, sure, I'll go." He decided, grinning at me as we started walking. "I can't wait to see all your friends leave you in the dust. Are we taking Mark's car or walking?"

"Mark offered, so we'll go with him. If you need to stop at your locker and get anything, you should do it now."

He nodded and we walked down the small hallway to get his things. When he unlocked his locker, I could see he hadn't decorated it and only used it to store his school supplies, like me. Well, that wasn't entirely true, he had his Nintendo switch at the top of his locker. Noah put his books away and grabbed his Switch. He shut his locker and spun the dial with gusto. 

We headed to the student parking lot. There, Mark was already leaning against the hood of his truck, hands in his hoodie pockets. He smiled when he saw Noah and me. 

I smiled back. "Thanks for the ride, Babe. Is it cool if my little brother comes with us?" 

He snickered, nodding, and unlocked the truck. He came over to the passenger side after Noah got in to sit between us in the middle of the car, to open the door. I rolled my eyes and settled into my seat, buckling the seatbelt. Noah was giving me a strange look, but I didn't know what it meant, so I ignored it. He probably just thought the play-flirting was weird.

We pulled out of the parking lot, Mark and I arguing over what music to put on over the radio.

§~•~§~•~§