4

Melody must have fallen asleep because the next thing she knew her phone was chirping an alarm at her, time to get up for school. She sat up, and stretched her stiff limbs. She had not fallen asleep in an ideal position and her body was loudly expressing its displeasure. After popping and cracking her joints back to almost normal, she checked the messages on her phone. Her mom had sent nearly a dozen messages chewing melody out for what she cooked last night and being rude to Frank. Melody tried to think back, had her mother always been this hateful? She didn't think so, but Melody and Beverly never had the closest bond, they were more like oil and water they were so different from each other. Melody had always been a Daddy's girl. Until he left her anyways. Shaking her head, she tossed the phone back on her bed, ignoring the messages and pushing all her negative feelings deep down into a locked box at the back of her mind.

Melody showered, got herself ready, and was actually ready early for once. But she lingered in her room until the last second, in hopes of avoiding her family after the exceptionally strange dinner last night and her mothers certain bad mood judging by the gist of all the messages.

When she couldn't delay any longer, she tried to silently lower the stairs, even though she knew it was impossible. Thankfully no one came to the hallway and she was able to sneak directly out the front door to her bike, and started her escape to school. The boys had already stopped trying to offer her a ride to school.

Melody was able to relax on her short ride in the crisp fall weather. The smell of autumn leaves and the light smell of the sea on the wind was calming and she was in a much better mood when she arrived at school. She went to the rack and again locked her bike up before heading in. it wasn't a large school, so she was already starting to feel familiar with the layout and had no problems finding her morning classes.

She had snuck out of the house so swiftly she hadn't had a chance to pack a lunch. When lunch time came around, she quickly darted to the cafeteria and picked up a sandwich before heading outside back to her tree to read her book while she ate. Her book was really heating up and she was enjoying the warm sun while she could, knowing the east coast winter was right around the corner. There were only 15 minutes left in her lunch period when a shadow was cast over her book. She looked up and her breath hitched involuntarily when her eyes met the icey blue eyes of the weird guy from yesterday. His eyes were very pretty, she couldn't help thinking to herself as she stared into them. All of him was very pretty actually. The shaggy blond hair falling around his perfect face, icey blue eyes that seemed to be able to see into her soul and the body of a fucking god. The dark tshirt he was wearing today did nothing to hide the hard planes of muscles across his broad shoulders.

"You're blocking my sunshine" She finally said when he didn't say anything and just stood there looking down at her.

"Sorry" he lowered himself to the grass and sat beside her, letting the sunshine wash over her again. "Why are you hiding out here?" he asked, he was sitting awfully close to her now, if she took a deep breath she felt like they would touch.

"I didn't realise I was hiding? I like the sunshine."

"I was looking for you in the cafeteria"

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to ask if you would eat lunch with me, but" he gestured at the empty sandwich wrapper, "Guess I'm too late for that." he looked defeated, which only confused Melody even more.

"Yup, I've already eaten and the period is almost over. Why did you waste so much effort looking for me?"

"Because I want to be..." there was an awkward pause, it looked like he was searching for the right word, "Friends. I want to be friends, you're new, I'm new here too. I thought you could use a friend."