44

Diana led everyone through the hallways down to the ballroom. Seriously, did all pack houses have literal ballrooms just waiting around? Melody worried Diana might be able to read her mind when the older women said, "It's easier for us to have events on our own land in case things get a little more wild than a human hotel or event space might be ready for." Melody nodded, anxiously picking at the nail on her thumb while the other women wished her good luck and went to take their seats inside.

"Don't be nervous dear. This is just a quick little ceremony, followed by a big party and feast." Diana cooed at Melody, trying to sooth her as she gave her hair a final adjustment, made sure her flower crown was straight, and smoothed imaginary wrinkles from the silk and lace of her dress. "The music will start a few moments after I take my seat, these two lovely boys" she gestured to the tween boys in khaki pants and wrinkled plaid button ups, "will open the doors. Walk up to Alexander, he will take your hand, and elder Abernathy will take care of everything else."

Melody nodded, she could do this. Diana gave her one last hug and slipped into the ballroom. Melody stood there, wishing this was a wedding so she would have a bouquet and then have something to do with her hands. She fussed for a few moments, until she decided she would just walk out as normal as she could while wearing what was for all intents and purposes a wedding gown.

Melody was still anxiously shuffling, when the music started, the boys faces lit up when they recognised their cue. Melody smiled back as she watched the sweet kids mouth counting down from five together, before they flung the doors open wide, revealing Melody as everyone stood and turned to look at her. The ballroom had been decorated floor to ceiling, Peony's, hydrangeas, babys breath, lilies and roses were artfully arranged throughout the room, while ivy trailed elegantly between crystal chandeliers and fairy lights. It looked like a fairy tale wedding, fit for a disney princess. There were so many people, so many lights, so many flowers it was overwhelming. But all Melody could see was Alexander.

His mother must have beat him into getting a haircut, his normally shaggy curling locks were cropped close, making him look older, his jaw more square. He looked impeccable in a deep navy suit with a matching tie, the blue reflecting the sharp icy blue of his eyes that were locked on Melody as she walked towards him. Her shoulders were square and her head held high. Alexander's eyes started to shine and sparkle, and Melody couldn't help but let her mouth fall open in shock, her lips a sweet O shape as he wiped a tear from his eye.

Melody finally reached him, the ballroom was filled with people, who all burst into applause as Alexander finally took her hand in his, and led her the final few steps to stand in front of the aged man standing in front of them on a raised platform. Melody wished she could have been able to focus on the ceremony, but it was all a blur. She knows the elder gave a speech or some kind of toast, then there was the formal joining which felt very similar to wedding vows even if the words were a little different, and finally Diana joined the stage to officially welcome Melody to the pack.

"By the grace of our Goddess Selene, it is my joy and privilege to present to you all, the future Alpha and Luna of our pack!" John said in a loud voice, as the crowd erupted in cheers, wolf whistles, and applause while Alexander dipped Melody in his arms, laying a searing kiss on her lips while one of her hands ran through his freshly cut hair.

Alexander pulled Melody back to standing on her own two feet, never letting go of her hand. "Now that we are all official, let the party begin!" The room filled with the sound of chairs and tables being moved as the chairs from the ceremony were shunted back into a large closet, and the feast was laid out along with tables and a dance floor emerged from nothing.

Melody, Alexander and the entire pack spent the night celebrating, eating delicious food, and dancing as music filled the night air all around the pack house. Melody felt so happy, she wondered why she was ever nervous. Everyone here made an effort to come and welcome her in person, telling her what a beautiful ceremony it had been, she felt welcomed, like she belonged. Like she had family, a real family full of love and support for the first time in a long time.