2: 2

The next morning found Melody thinking over the past three years. How much had changed, and how she just wanted a little piece of the normal life she had always dreamed for herself. Part of her plan had been going to college. Having one more chance to make friends. She wouldn't ever change anything she had in her life. She had always wanted to be married and have a family. But it had taken Melody a while to accept the concept of the mate bond, over the past three years, Alexander had been the most perfect partner she could have ever dreamed up. He supported her and studied with her for hours so Melody could test out of highschool after leaving their last highschool before the end of the year and graduation. Then for a honeymoon for lack of a better word, they had toured packs all over North America, until Melody said she was tired and ready to be at home, travelling while pregnant as a teenager hadn't been the most fun. The wolves were always ecstatic, another alpha continuing his family line was always to be celebrated. The humans they had to interact with while travelling were the ones who made Melody feel judged.

Once they made it back to his pack, and home. Things weren't any simpler for Melody. She wasn't accustomed to how her new "Home" functioned. The pack house was always busy and full of people. It was overwhelming, Melody had been an only child most of her life and the brief experience with step brothers had been traumatic to say the least. All the wolves were kind to Melody, to her face anyways. Sometimes it was worse than highschool when she had been ignored by everyone. Having people be nice to her face only to hear them gossiping later in places where people thought they weren't being overheard hurt.

It wouldn't have been so bad. Melody had gotten used to being unpopular, it didn't bother her anymore. When they criticised Alexander because of her, that made her angry. Hearing that people thought Alexander was weak for having a human mate. That she wasn't right for him. Mate bond or not, Alexander should have been with a wolf. Apparently racists were everywhere. Even with some darkness in the corners, this was her home, and it was better than her last. Melody shuddered, thinking of the memory of the last awful time she had seen her family.

Royal still kept in touch, only through an encrypted messenger service. So Melody couldn't be traced. He let her know the family wasn't doing so great. Beverly and Frank had both lost their jobs as the market turned and had no real income anymore. Royal had moved out the same day Melody had, first to his mothers and then farther away, and hadn't looked back. He was happy in Montreal. He said the city fit him and the person he wanted to be. He was the only link Melody had to that life, and even he had left that life and blended family behind him.

Melody had become an early riser, waking around six in the morning to start to make breakfast for everyone so they could start the day as a family. Hopefully when she was going to classes, she would still have time for little rituals like this. She found peace while she brewed peppermint tea and worked on getting a full breakfast together. Hashbrowns, and bacon, fresh eggs and bread that she had asked be delivered every morning. Melody was trying to decide between pancakes or waffles, when she heard Ansley start to stir, and James almost a breath later. With a sigh she said "pancakes it is" before heading up the stairs to wake everyone and start their day.

It was only a week until the next semester started, Melody, with some help from Alexander and the pack, was able to transfer all her classes to in person. After breakfast she left the kids with Nanna Diana so she could do some errands. Melody went to the nursery in the packhouse and arranged for James to have a place when she was in school and Diana or Alexander were occupied with pack business. That taken care of, Melody took herself shopping for some clothes that were a little more fun to wear out of the house than the yoga pants and sweaters she had found herself living in since James was born.

New jeans, and boots. Skirts, blouses, a few dresses and other versatile pieces later she left the mall feeling ready to try one more time to make friends who would like her as she was without knowing anything about her history. Better yet, if they were human and had no idea what a Luna even was. She longed for a little space to be the normal human woman she was. A group of friends who just knew Melody, As she was now. She craved it with every fibre of her being that was leftover after loving Alexander and her children with her whole heart.