Chapter Eight

LYRA
________

"I have some pack work to do," Alexander stated whilst in the process of buttoning his shirt.

Sauntering towards him, I placed my fingers over his, stilling his movement as I proceeded to button his shirt for him.

"We have some pack work to do," I corrected him once his shirt was completely buttoned.

Alexander smiled and snaked his arms around my waist, pulling me flush against him. "You never fail to amaze me," he murmured, his eyes scanning mine. "But I want you to relax today. Go get to know Jaxon's mate or something."

Raising a brow, I rested my hands on his chest. "Or something? A year ago, I had to physically fight you to see my friends."

Tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear, he said, "Things were different back then. I didn't trust any of them the way I do now."

"I know," I told him, smiling. "Thank you for accepting them in to this pack. It means everything to me."

Alexander returned a smile of his own. "Anything for my Luna, and they really proved themselves," he continued, but the smile on his face faded as he spoke. "When Gabriel attacked the prison grounds, I can't tell you how it made me feel knowing you were there without my protection. I had to make a quick decision to keep you safe."

The incident had taken place over a year ago, but we had never really talked about it properly. Half of me was convinced that Alexander just wanted me to forget about that day and the truth that had been revealed.

"My wolf didn't want to release Jaxon or Matteo, but you were my priority," Alexander continued, bringing my focus back on him. "Your safety pushed me to release them and I'm glad I did. They protected you when I couldn't."

His words made me frown. "Baby, that's not true. If it weren't for you, I don't even know what would have happened."

Alexander chuckled softly, before wrapping his arms tightly around me, embracing me. "I don't ever want to risk hurting you again."

I didn't have the slightest clue in the world why my mate was beating himself up for past incidents, but decided to drop it.

"You're going to be late," I told him, pulling away. "If I have time later, I will drop by, maybe introduce the new she-wolf fighters."

Alexander grinned before dipping his head down and locked his lips with mine. I cupped his face as the kiss intensified and I moaned in to him, loving how good his tongue felt against mine. But before my wolf could get too excited, Alexander pulled back slightly.

"I love you," he murmured against my lips, quickly pecking me a couple of times before pulling away. "The ideas you have brought to this pack makes me admire you even more as my Luna."

I could feel my cheeks burn at his words, but instead, I stood on my tiptoes and pecked his lips. "I love you even more."

"I will see you at lunch," he promised, pecking my head before he left.

I smiled and nodded in agreement as I eyed him leaving.

"So, who's bottom and who's top?"