Chapter Thirty One

LYRA
________

The droplets of rain clinging on for dear life at the window, made me trace my finger on the glass in an effort to comfort them, wondering if they were there to help me instead.

The sky in the background was tar-black, reflecting the pain in my heart. Tears strolled down my cheek, for the tenth time today. The tapping on the window intensified, as an aggressive shower coated over the area.

"You alright?" Alexander murmured, wrapping his arms around me from behind, pulling me close against his chest. "Need anything?"

I shook my head, blinking away the tears and leaned back in to his shoulder.

It had already been a week since he told me about the loss of our pup. A week since I felt like my whole world came colliding, a week since I had abandoned every aspect of my life and kept myself locked in the house.

Alexander hardly left my side during that entire week. I knew he was just as heartbroken, but he didn't show it and focused on helping me instead.

"The pack are worried about you," Alexander said, softly, his nose stroking my cheek soothingly. "A couple of the younger pups brought you gifts. They are all thinking of you."

Closing my eyes tightly, I nodded to let him know I was listening and I appreciated every kind gesture that the pack had showed.

It was unfair to them for me to appear so weak, but losing my pup, before I had even had a chance to let it know how excited I was to have him or her, that made me feel guilty.

When I had found out that I was expecting a pup, I had been so immersed in the issues with that she-wolf from Alexander's past that I hadn't even given my own pup any love.

I couldn't help but feel guilty and wonder if that was the karma for not paying more attention to my pup, and to my body. I whimpered lowly and turned around to embrace my mate, as I sobbed in to his chest.

Alexander held me firmly, stroking my back soothingly like he had for the past week. "Baby, come on," he cooed in to my hair, his voice pained and low. "You need to be strong for yourself and for me."

Wiping at my tears with my sleeves, I heaved a loud sigh before pulling back to glance at him. "I'm sorry," I mumbled, swallowing the lump of pain in my throat. "I promised I would pick myself up, but I can't help every time I think of the pup, I just..."

Alexander pulled me flush against his chest again, holding me tightly. He was pecking my head gently, inhaling my scent in the process.

"I've got you," he reassured, his voice low. "I will always be here. We will move past this together, alright?"

I clung on to him for dear life, wrapping my arms around him. Losing our pup had driven my wolf completely insane, because she had formed a bond with the little one. Alexander had ensured that I remained sane by comforting me as much as he could.

After spending the afternoon together, with Alexander cooking and feeding me, we ended up fishing through the gifts that the pack had sent in condolence.

There were a variety of teddy bears, chocolates, flowers and cards. I cried all over again at how considerate the pack were, treating me with so much kindness even though I felt like I hadn't done much for them, especially in the past two weeks.