Chapter 85

Paige POV:

You can literally hear a pin drop from how quiet it is in the arena. But that quickly changes once I hear the swish of the ball going into the basket and the crowd erupts into cheers as the bench clears running to me. The confetti starts falling and the reporters and cameramen start piling onto the court running towards me as well.

This all feels like a dream until I get lifted into the air by my teammates and I spot Peyton standing up, clapping, with the biggest smile on her face. And it's in this moment that all my worries go away and that she was right all along.

As I'm being lifted onto my teammates shoulders, I take in everything around me. All the fans are cheering, my teammates are cheering, the coaches are hugging each other, and the NCAA president walks out on the court with the trophy in hand. And this is when I know that everything it took to be in this moment was worth it. All the sacrifices, all the early mornings, all the practices, all the workouts, everything, it was all worth it.

My teammates gently put me down as the president walks closer with the trophy. All the reporters and cameramen are in front of us recording this moment as all the coaches join us and the NCAA president walks up to the microphone

"It is my pleasure to announce, your 2022 Women's Basketball National Champions are the Connecticut Huskies" and with that he hands the trophy to Christyn, Evina, and Liv who lift it in the air making all of us start screaming again.

After we settle down he continues "And the Most Valuable Player Award goes to...Paige Bueckers!"

All my teammates and the crowd start cheering like crazy and I walk up to him with the biggest smile on my face and grab the smaller trophy from him and lifting it in the air and the crowd somehow cheers even louder than they were before.

After that I make my way towards my family who congratulate me and give me hugs. Then I head over to Peyton who immediately pulls me into a hug

"I'm so proud of you" she says

"I couldn't have done it without you" I tell her as we pull away

"That's not true"

"Yea it is. Without you I would've had a million mental breakdowns" I say

"I wouldn't say a million. Probably more" she jokes smiling at me

"Wow. I see how it is" I tease

"I'm kidding and you know that"

"I know don't worry" I say holding her close

"Here I'll hold your trophy, you go enjoy this moment with your team" she says as I hand her my trophy

"I love you" I say giving her a quick kiss

"I love you too, now go" she says once we pull away which makes me smile as I turn around and head back toward my teammates.

Nika and I immediately start making snow angels in the confetti before she comes up with a great idea.

"Let's go dump confetti on coach" she says

"Oh my god, that's a great idea" I say as we start collecting confetti in the hats they gave us that say National Champions "where is he?"

"He's over there getting interviewed" Nika answers pointing to him getting interviewed by Holly Row so we discreetly make our way over to him without him seeing and dump all the confetti on him while messing up his hair, as everyone laughs around us.

After that Holly asks if she can interview me so I stay with her as coach and Nika head back to everyone else.

"Paige, another close game down the stretch, where did this team find the focus play after play to close out this win?"

"We just kept our composure, we knew Stanford was gonna make their runs, they're a really great team and a really competitive team and one of the smartest teams in the country, so we just tried to stay composed and stay together"

"On paper this seemed almost impossible, they have so many players, so many big players, you guys had injuries, a short bench, how did you do it?"

"We know everybody in the world doesn't think we were gonna win, so we were like we might as well prove everybody wrong and prove ourselves right. And we left everything out on the line, it was our last game of the season so we had nothing left to give than our all"

"Thank you"

"Thank you Holly" I say before jogging back over to my teammates and celebrating this moment with them.

Author's Note:

Can you guys give me ideas of what you want in this story because I think I'm gonna end it soon