♥︎ 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

°˖✧✿✧˖° kennedy °˖✧✿✧˖°

I loved hanging out with my dad. Now I had Lia here and Annie too, it was great. I was on such a happy streak today but when the waiter brought my dad's beer over, I froze. He couldn't drink beer, not without getting angry. I shot Annie a look and she shook her head at me.
"Did you order that, dad?" Annie asked, putting her hand around the beer.
"I did, Annabelle. Paid for with my own money too," he said proudly, taking it from her hand and drinking some. Surely just the one would be okay? I could feel myself getting worked up and anxious already. Lia put her hand on my back- she knew my dad got angry but she didn't know that drinking triggered it, particularly beer.
"Just the one of them today, dad. Okay?" Annie said, looking at him sternly.
He set his beer down and looked at her. "Why are you telling me what to do?" I pushed myself closer to Lia and she put her arm around my waist, holding me close.
"I'm just looking out for you, dad. That's all," Annie replied, calmly. Dad went quiet then, looking out of the window. We all went quiet. No one knew what to say or how to respond to the awkward silence. I need a wee but I think it was an anxious wee. Either way, I mumbled to Lia where I was going and slid out of my seat, heading straight for the bathrooms as quickly as I could.

I peed and when I washing my hands, Lia came in. She smiled at me softly and stood behind me at the sinks.
"Stay in here for a few minutes," she whispered, putting her hands on my hips. Just then, I heard my dad's voice boom. I whimpered and stayed where I was. "You're safe in here." Why was this happening? It was a good day. I spun in her arms and hid my head in her neck, trying to block out the noises. Her arms wrapped around me and I wanted to cry and slip. I hated all of it.
"He was okay," I told her, whining.
"He will be okay," she reassured me, running her hands through my hair.
"I want to go home," I said.
"We will go back to the hotel as soon as it's safe too love, deep breaths," her voice was soft and gentle, running her hands through my hair and down my back in a regular pattern. About ten minutes later, after we heard some sirens, the shouting stopped. I whimpered and stood up straight.
"Can we go out?" I asked.
"Wait there," Lia instructed. I wiped my tears and she walked to the door, pushing it open and peering her head out. Sighing, she came back in and took my hand.
"No panicking okay? The police have your dad cuffed but Annie is talking to them. I'll be right by your side," she said, cupping my cheeks. I gulped nervously but nodded. I hated the police. No, I appreciated the police but they brought back so many bad memories.
"Do you just want to leave? I can call a taxi?"
"I don't want to wait for a taxi, can we walk somewhere?" I asked her, giving her my puppy dog eyes. She nodded gently and kissed me with so much tenderness, it was like I was vintage. She took my hand and pulled me out of the bathroom. The police were discussing things between themselves and Lia went over to Annie. She whispered something in her ear and Annie nodded before shooting me a sympathetic smile. I lowered my eyes- once again I had to leave the pressured situation.

We left the cafe, hand in hand and walked along the canal, away from my dad and sister.

°˖✧✿✧˖° lia °˖✧✿✧˖°

Walking along the canal now, I just wanted to scoop Kennedy up in my arms and hold her as close as I could forever. She was silent walking along beside me and I hoped she was okay. I didn't know if she had slipped or not but her actions were a lot more timid. She'd pulled her cardigan sleeve over her hand and was holding mine tightly with her other hand.
"Love?" I asked, swinging our arms slightly.
"Hm?" she said, scuffing her feet.
"You okay?" I asked. She shrugged gently and let out a sad sigh. "Do you want to talk about it?"
"I- I jus," she shrugged and let out another sad sigh. "No weally mama."
I wrapped an arm around her and stopped us, moving us to the side. She whimpered but let me hold her. After a few moments, I crouched down in front of her and held her hands. I pouted seeing the tears streaming steadily down her cheeks. I wiped them with my thumb and she took a deep, shaky breath.
"I can see a park over there," I told her. She looked up and around, seeing the park. "Would you like to go? Whilst we're there I can get someone to come and pick us up to take us back to the hotel?" She whimpered and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.
"I go on swings?" She asked me, sweetly.
"You can go on the swings darling, would you like me to push you?" I asked. She nodded and smiled slightly. I turned around and tapped my back. "Hop on then monkey." She hopped on my back, wrapping her arms and legs around me. I smiled and stood up. She held onto me and I felt her bury her head into the back of my hair.
"Tanks mama," she whispered after a few minutes of walking.
"No problem kiddo," I giggled, bouncing her a little.

At the park, I let her off my back and she walked to the swings on her own and sat down. I texted Addie, asking her to send us a taxi or a car to pick us up as well as my location. I walked up behind Kennedy and began to push her. She giggled a little as it got higher and higher and quickly, she was no longer crying but giggling away to herself on the swings. She kicked her legs out and back, pushing herself and I hopped on the one next to her.
"I bet I can go higher than you!" I teased, beginning to push myself.
"Nuh uh," she giggled, pushing herself harder.
Soon, I was as high as her and everytime we passed each other, she would laugh and pull another funny face at me and it made my heart melt. She went from being a little scared bunny to a hoppy, happy rabbit and that was amazing to see. I just hoped the happiness would stay up! I knew that the days events would hit her later tonight and I also knew she hadn't properly been little for the last few days because I've been ill but I just wanted her to smile and her happy self. I needed to be there for her - no matter what tonight. I had a feeling nightmares were going to come.