Chapter 7

As Jungkook sipped his evening coffee, he read over the case files. The sound of hurried knocks caused him to change his focus. He muttered, too preoccupied with the paperwork to glance up, "Come in." The speaker exclaimed, "Detective Justin! There is a problem!" in a hurry.

Jungkook looked up to see a panicked Taehyung, rushing in with a file in his hands. "What is it?" he asked finally closing his file. "Sir, what we thought to be a missing case turned out to be a murder case," he said as he handed the file to Jungkook.

"This is Simon Turner, male, age 46, a public interest lawyer. Three days ago, his family reported him missing since his phone was off and his apartment was locked. His phone could only be tracked back to his residence. His home was in disarray when we broke into his apartment today with the search warrant. There were shattered and dispersed objects on the floor and blood all around."

"In his guest room, he was discovered crammed inside a punching bag. His limbs were slashed off and his brain was severely damaged by repeated blows with what seemed to be a wrench. He too was strangled. He lost too much blood, which caused his death. A butcher knife was used to chop him up which is yet to be found and the wrench was discovered next to the coffee table in the living room. His death occurred four days ago, at approximately four or five in the morning, according to the post-mortem report."

All of this was being heard by Jungkook as he trawled through the file's pages, which contained images of the crime scene. As a detective, it was important for him to go through every possible picture.

"And one more thing, sir. During the assault, a date was engraved on his wrist. It says 17-09-17. And the day he was killed was the same date, just in 2022."

"Any footage?" As he continued, Jungkook appeared distraught from having seen all those horrible images.

"No, sir. It appears that an hour before the occurrence, all of the CCTV cameras were switched off."

"This does not appear to be a typical murder case. It was precisely planned and executed. But it looks like the killer had something against him given the brutality of the killing. It's also conceivable that multiple people are to blame. However, who would have such a blatant grudge against a public interest attorney? Something is not adding up here."

"Officer V, give this investigation priority right away. Check Simon's personal files and look up the date 17-09-2017 to see if it holds any relevance. The only clue available at the moment is this date. Don't forget to properly interrogate his ex-wife."

Taehyung exited the cabin, and Jungkook again read over the case file to ensure he hadn't missed anything crucial. Many thoughts and questions crossed his head.

'If all of this occurred around midnight, how come no one noticed any odd noises? And the documentation makes no mention of any break-in, so how did those folks get inside the apartment? The foul odor is unmistakable with a dead person still inside the apartment after 4 days. According to the documentation, the CCTV started operating normally the following morning. Are all of these really coincidences that were put conveniently?'

There is more to the story than what these documents reveal. he did not want to sit there and do nothing. He took out his notepad and jotted down all the things he had in mind and things that were needed to be checked. He decided to investigate the crime scene first thing tomorrow.