Chapter 8

Detective Jungkook's cabin was vacant as Officer V rushed across the hallways to investigate. "Detective Justin isn't at his cabin", he frantically inquired of the front desk.

"No," Officer Jin answered, shaking his head. "He worked all night yesterday and arrived at the location of the crime this morning."

Officer V swore under his breath and fished his phone from his jacket. "Hey kiddo, drink this." he looked up to see Officer Jin handing him a bottle of water. "You have been panting like a dog." He accepted the bottle, swallowed down the entire contents, and mumbled his thanks.

To reach Jungkook, Taehyung dialed his number from his contact list. A gruff voice said, "Hello?" "Yes, good morning, sir, I have further details concerning the murder site." "You must tell me over the phone since I just arrived at Simon's residence."

"Simon's neighbor has been out of the city for the past few weeks. And there is speculation that Simon was planning to sell off the apartment. Simon's lack of social media activity was another aspect we discovered. One last thing, Simon was a criminal lawyer before he switched to Public Interest Lawyer, approximately 4 years ago. He had been practicing for 12 years after which he urged his law firm to change to Public Interest Lawyer. According to records, there is no specific reason for it."

There was an audible sigh. "That explains a lot, criminals will be lined up to harbor resentment and anger against him. He's been a criminal lawyer for 12 years. Please conduct a thorough investigation of his records, Officer V."

"Sir, I'm working on it; by evening, the files should be placed on your desk."

"Great. I will talk to you when I return to the station."

After putting his phone back in his pocket, Jungkook examined his revolver. For the worst-case scenario, he had to be ready. He got out of the car and started walking towards the apartment. The area is quiet yet rather desolate. It was a brand-new apartment. There are still apartments available for purchase or rental.

He climbed the stairs and arrived at the third-floor home far to the right. The yellow tape had previously been used to identify the apartment. He noticed two cops come out as he got closer to the residence. He immediately recognized them.

"Hey." Jungkook greeted. Both of them saluted as they heard him. "Sir". "anything you got in there?" Jungkook asked. "No sir, but we got some information that reporters were trying to get inside, that's why we swung by." Officer Suga replied. "It's a blood bath in there," explained Officer Jimin. "Seen the pictures pal, I know," Jungkook answered.

Officer Suga continued with, "Let's go inside."

Almost all of the furnishings in the apartment were precisely placed and appeared to be brand new. On the couch and coffee table, the blood smears were visible. Jungkook continued inside. One of the corners was filled with tiny fragments of glass covered in blood.

"Has anyone collected this blood sample," he inquired after carefully examining the mess. In response, Officer Jimin said, "I don't think so. The last time I checked, blood samples were not gathered from this area."

Jungkook was already prepared to hear this kind of news. He pulled out surgical gloves and carefully picked the shards in a zip lock bag. Officer Suga was given the bag and instructed to submit it straight away to the forensic lab. "Yes sir," he saluted before leaving the house.

Officer Jimin closely followed him as he entered the guest room where the victim was discovered. He took a moment to scan the room before focusing on the area where the punching bag was hung. A sizable bloodstain was visible underneath it. Jimin, who was standing next to Jungkook, said quietly, "The body had clung to the bag; we had to transfer it to the forensic lab so that we don't damage any evidence when getting it out." He only nodded a little.

Both of the windows were securely closed when he checked them. "This is a blocked entrance for the invader. The front door is the only option," muttered Jungkook. "There was no break-in, sir. Is there a chance Simon let them in by opening the door?" inquired Jimin. "There is, but we need evidence to support that. It can't be said bluntly." Jimin nodded, acknowledging the difficulty of the situation.

He looked in the kitchen before leaving through the front door. He assumed that the kitchen itself must have been where the knife had been retrieved. Turns out it was. But the weapon was still yet to be found. He checked the door after stepping outside. It had a password verification lock. "This kind of stuff is not simple to break in unless it's the work of expert hackers," Jungkook thought out loud. Jimin looked around as he sensed being watched only to find an empty hallway.

"Hey, what's that?" Jungkook began to gesture upward towards the wall next to the entrance. Jimin said, "What is what?" as he took a careful look at what Jungkook had been pointing to. There he saw, a red dot blinking meekly. "Is that a.... Camera?" Both of them looked at each other in realization. The murderer was out there watching every step of Simon and is now watching theirs.

"Someone is keeping an eye on us right now. Call for backup," Jungkook whispered to Jimin as he pointed his gun at the empty corridor.