Chapter 12 (Filler)

Yn sighed as Sarah exited the cabin. "Why are you doing this?" she muttered. "What else could you possibly need? Don't you think you've gotten enough?" 'Sweetie, isn't it clear?' her phone beeps as she grudgingly examines it. 'YOU! I need you, and moreover, I am a changed man.'

"You just killed a man and claim to be a 'changed man'," Yn scoffs. Her phone rang again, and this time it said, 'he deserves it, sweetheart.' Now let bygones be bygones.' Before she could say anything her landline phone rang. She picked up seeing 'Front Desk'.

"Yes, Sarah?" "Two investigators have arrived to meet you." "What?" she cried as she stood up. "Relax, this is possibly for the best. Tell them." "Are you insane, Sarah? I'm going to die if I say anything." "Nothing would happen if you came clean soon." "Wait, this is presumably about the juvenile case that came in last week." "Just a minute. May I know the cause for the visit?... They want to speak directly to you," Sarah answered after a little pause. "Best of luck," She said before cutting the call. "Sarah!" she shouted as she hung up the phone.

A new message read, 'careful what you say, princess.' A shiver ran down her spine. She hastily took out a notepad from her desk and scribbled, 'The room is bugged, please help,' before ripping it out and hiding it in her fist. She attempted to appear normal by adjusting her reading glasses and pretending to be absorbed in her computer. When the door opened, she glanced up to see two cops of similar height standing at the doorway.

She stood up and started, "Please have a seat officers," as she walks in front towards the couch. Yn acted to be natural and inquired firmly whether they wanted water. She tried to avoid learning the cause of their visit but failed when the officer didn't beat around the bush and came directly to the point.

"Getting right to the point. Do you recall Simon Turner, Miss Yn?" Upon hearing the question, Yn could only think about the time he helped her yet she was cautious not to display her feelings to the men sitting in front of her. Yn regained her composure before replying, "Yes, officer, he represented me in court five years ago. What about him?"

"Miss we regret to inform you but he was murdered a couple of days ago." Yn secretly hoped that Carl lied to her but after what the officer informed her, she knew whatever Carl said was true. Her anxiousness increased at the thought of it, and she unconsciously began massaging her palms to relieve it. The sound of her phone vibrating drew her attention to her table. "You don't look too surprised miss Yn, did you already know about this?"

Yn turned back and gulped down before looking directly at the detective, "If I recall properly, he was a criminal defense attorney. Don't these lawyers walk with their life on their palms? I mean, their job is quite dangerous if you ask me." It ached as those words exited her mouth. She was aware of how much Simon meant to her, and her negligence and dismissive attitude toward him pained her.

She looked at her phone to see the notification light blinking. For once she didn't want to think about the consequences and be completely honest with the officers. But all she could think was that Sarah's safety was in jeopardy and that the cops should leave quickly.

"Miss Yn, after Carl Burke's release on September 18, 2022, have you been in touch with him? We suspect he may be involved in this." the officer's voice rang in the silent room, urging Yn to look at him. She wanted to tell. Everything was on the tip of her tongue, but her mind was clouded with the worst possibilities, making her want to run far-far away, just like she had been running away from her fears all these years.

Yn took a long breath, realized her legs were bouncing, and tried to relax them by resting her sweaty palms on her knees. She knew one slip of word and Carl would make sure to hunt her down. If she is going behind him, she must be extremely discreet and cautious. She gulped to relieve the dryness in her throat before responding, "He was released? I wasn't really informed about it."

The officer on her left started with, "Miss Yn, you can tell us if something is bothering you-" but she cut him off before he could finish. She didn't want to alarm Carl just yet. "Everything is perfectly fine officer if I got to know something I would instantly alert you," she said looking straight at him and shutting him down.

When the detective rose on his feet to depart, Yn felt relieved. 'There's just one thing left to do,' she thought. She stood up and responded, "yea definitely officer" to the previous statement made by the other officer which she barely heard. "It was a pleasure meeting you Mr..?" she extended her hand, praying that the detective accepts it and not think of her as someone who was coming onto him. "Jungkook," he said, accepting it with a little shake.

His hands were warm in comparison to Yn's chilly ones. She glanced at him, then at their hands clasped together. Yn sensed some kind of safety in his handshake. He tightened his hold, not painfully, but more firmly. She looked back at him catching him already gazing at her. Their eyes seemed to communicate with each other without the need for actual words. Both of them felt a strange tension building around them before it was broken when the other guy in the room interrupted, "it was a pleasure meeting you too, Miss Yn," as they both glanced at him and retracted their hands back.

It took a while before Yn noticed the other cop extending his hand and shooked it before noticing the note she originally hid was no longer there. She didn't realize when and how Jungkook took it. As they were exiting, Jungkook turned back to look at her, and seeing him give her a brief reassuring nod, she knew her strategy had succeeded.