Chapter 13

"You mean, just before we left, she handed you this. I spent the entire time with you. I didn't see her—hold on? The handshake, was it? With shock and bafflement, Taehyung inquired.

The only word audible was Jungkook's "Yes," as he appeared to be pondering something.

"I thought that was weird. In all honesty, I believed she was attempting to flirt with you or something," Taehyung replied, being utterly frank. Jungkook gave him a sharp yet disappointed glance in return before sighing.

"What? I have witnessed people doing it. She wouldn't be the first one out there," knowing he was looking at him, Taehyung said. "But I still don't understand why we left the building so suddenly. Shouldn't we do anything to assist her?"

"Didn't you notice anything? With us there and the knowledge that someone was listening to her or, worse, always observing her, she felt uneasy. Plus we were only endangering her the longer we stayed up there. I noticed her every small action- from gulping down to pretending to be fine. She was aware of Simon and, presumably, frightened to beg for assistance when some imbecile was keeping an eye on her every step." As he spoke the final phrase, Jungkook became visibly agitated. Given that Jungkook isn't someone who easily loses his cool under pressure, Taehyung was a little taken aback to see this.

Taehyung was at a loss for what to do, so he handed Jungkook a bottle of water from his side, which Jungkook accepted while murmuring 'thanks.' "However, I'm still puzzled as to why you chose to use your real name."

As he closed his eyes and thought back on the day's events, Jungkook placed his head on the headrest. "I'm not sure why I did it. It simply felt," he paused and opened his eyes, looking for the appropriate phrase to describe how he felt, "right."

"Okay! enough surprises to last a lifetime. Probably a good idea for us to return to the station now. As he started the engine, Jungkook rolled his eyes at his comment.

On the way to the station, Jungkook had instructed Taehyung to keep an eye on Yn's whereabouts and to have Carl detained without delay as a suspect. Additionally, he advised caution when spying on Yn and to be alert for any potential risks. Upon arriving at the station, Jungkook went straight to Namjoon's cabin to talk about what had happened.

"Jungkook hold on! You must speak with Yn properly before taking any action. She couldn't reveal anything because of her paranoia. It would be preferable if you met her outside of the clinic. That brings up the question, "On what grounds would you arrest Carl?"

As Jungkook processed Namjoon's comments, he sighed. "I may detain him as a suspect but not as a criminal. It's unclear to us whether he killed Simon or not. However, he does have a motif, and the date also indicates it. He could be the plotter if he isn't the murderer."

Namjoon turned to face him and replied, "I don't want to provide any misleading information, but I do have a doubt about Carl as well. Are you sure Carl was released on the 18th? You don't think there's a message hidden in the shadows or something?"

"What do you mean," Jungkook questioned as he gazed at him with confusion? Namjoon exhaled and stood up before approaching Jungkook. "Remember the Nathan David case? A month before the date listed in the documentation, he was released from prison. It was then discovered that he made some sort of link to higher officials during his stay and was able to falsify his time spent in prison on the records. Now, I'm not really pointing at anything, but throughout his five years in prison, he must have encountered individuals who were able to assist him."

Jungkook responded, looking conflicted, "You do make sense here, but we have no proof." Namjoon placed his arm on Jungkook's shoulder as he stated, "We occasionally need to see beyond the proof. Everything is conceivable in this brutal world, and there isn't always necessarily evidence to support it."