0: House of Gold

"Centuries ago in a faraway land, across the silvering sea of Lasus, a war broke out between the humans and demons. It brought torment to all living creatures in Ciandelle, Aragonia, and Shreave. Even the mightiest heroes in every country all over the world failed to suppress the demon from evading and defiling the land they do not belong.

"When all hope was gone the Goddess of Light herself, Cianna, could no longer ignore the fate of humans falling to the hands of these foul creatures. She then orders her Holy Maidens to help the humans."

The once sleepy eyes widened in curiosity, hugging her doll tightly. "Maid-nens? Like Sasha?"

Chuckling the boy no more than nine closed the unfinished storybook that he had already memorized since it was his favorite after all. He shook his head and kissed his younger sister's forehead. "No, not Sasha nor every maid in this house. Holy Maidens are like angels bringing hope and serenity to the hearts of mankind."

"Angels," the girl gasped in awe.

"Yes, angels. They are holy beings protecting people from harm."

That was before, a long time ago. Of course, the boy couldn't say that to his sister.

"Now close your eyes and go to sleep. We wouldn't want mother to see us still awake." The boy kissed the younger's forehead.

It would be bad if their mother really found him together with her daughter. He'll be surely locked in the basement as a punishment. He couldn't stomach the thought of being alone in that cold dark room with those voices whispering to his ear. 

His eye twitched. These eyes that made him different from everyone. A reminder that his mother will forever look at him with hatred, disgust, and fear.

"Sweet dreams, Laica." He managed to force a smile but it immediately vanished after seeing the solemn look on his sister's face.

"Don't worry, brother, the Holy Maid will protect you!"

The boy stared at those deep blue orbs for a few heartbeats before sighing. "Maiden. Holy Maiden remember that Laica alright?"

"Yes!"

"Goodnight."

As he retreats to his room he can't help but make a wistful wish.