8: Heart of Glass

People in the slum love the second princess even though they didn't know of her father.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

With the flowers on my arms, I said in terror, "Ah, flowers for my soon-to-be-dead body."

Art who has the same fear as I have looked at me with sympathy.

I don't need that look! 

"What are you talking about, your highness? Didn't I promise you that no harm will fall upon you? So rest assured," Lucas said as I look at him with uncertainty at his words. "Well then, see you around Art. Have a great day."

Yeah, have a great day... Good for you. 

Fear sat on my heart as we part ways with the small gardener from the Kingdom of Seonyon.

"Is your stomach hurting again?" Lucas asked still carrying me towards where my death awaits. "Should we make a detour first?"

"I– That's..."

"You really are afraid of his majesty."

"Shouldn't I be?" I said more softly as I stare at the beautiful flowers that have profound colors of white, violet, and blue.

"Your father gave you a terrible first impression, didn't he? He's always like that, giving such an awful first impression. Back then when I first met your father, he was just a crown prince and I was a newly appointed knight. I saw him by chance dragging some knight-in-training by the hair as his majesty threw him out of the training ground. And when I was assigned to be one of his knight I would sometimes debate if I should cut my hair and be bald."

"Did you..? Shave your head?"

Lucas shook his head and gave a wry smile as he remembered the past. "Someone did before I could. That poor guy thought that his head would be safe from the grip of your father's. Palming the shiny head his majesty easily dragged him out."

Having an idea of what kind of personality the captain has, I wouldn't be surprised if he has one or two bald spots.

"Anyway, even the late queen didn't escape from that, like it's part of his package. But, all I could say is that the king is the last thing you should be afraid of," he said with a solemn look on his face before going back to that carefree smile. "You know princess, they did say that at some point people need to face their fears. And there he is, his majesty."

My heart dropped at the sudden announcement. I turned my head slowly. There he really was, his royal majesty King Edmund, the man who held my life.

"It seems he is taking a short nap while waiting for you, Princess Elaine,"  Lucas continued while we approach the sleeping king.

Edmund was leaning back on the tree under the morning sun. If I didn't know who he was I would shamelessly stare at him with wonder because of his devastatingly handsome physical appearance.

The large tree was surrounded by a small stream of water. It looked plain but at the same time, it felt special for some reason.

Lucas then lowered me to one of the two bridges without any signs of getting near the king.

"Go wake up your father, your highness," Lucas said smiling at me as he softly pushes me forward. "I'll be around the area making sure no one will bother you two."

Without any other choice, I dragged my feet towards my father. A powerless child of no relevance, I couldn't do anything but obey the people around me.

I stared down at the good-looking king who looked nothing like a psychotic murderer while sleeping peacefully.

I hugged the flowers tightly as my breath becomes shallow. Is he really sleeping? What if I stabbed his eyes with these flowers—No no no. I should stop thinking of those things. I'll die in an instant before I could even lift my hand. Eek! He might even smell my murderous thoughts right now!

With my heart in my throat, I sat down next to the man, as near as I can. 

"Old man–" 

Oh fu-

My eyes swam in panic. I was too tense that I voiced out my true thoughts.

Thank the goddess he's asleep... Wait, what if he's actually awake and listening?!

"I.." I cleared my throat but it came out like I was choking. I tried to save myself, but heaven is not on my side.

The second attempt was somewhat successful. 

"I'm sorry for your loss, your majesty," I slowly said in fear of making another mistake. This time I might cuss at him and my head will be rolling on the ground next.

My hands work quietly on making a flower crown.

"Someone said to me that there will be a moment when the flowers will once again bloom because no darkness lasts forever. And someday, his majesty will smile and find the happiness that I took away from you."

Because someone will bring you the light that you lost the moment Elaine was born. And that person is the heroine of this story.

"I promise you that I won't be a hinder to your happiness. So please..please don't kill me." The overwhelming emotion I suddenly felt made me beg. "When I turn 18 I'll be gone in your life before you know it. I'll make sure to erase my existence like I never live as your daughter."

My heart... I shouldn't feel this way. But why does it clench that it's hurting?

I deeply frowned at the finished flower crown on my hands and placed it on his majesty's lap before standing. A sign of my peace offering.

"...Your majesty, I'm really sorry."

Maybe I should have called him father? Nah. Let's just continue addressing him majesty or king. It's weird to call him the title that he doesn't even know how to be one. A father at that.

Now that I'm satisfied with what to address the sleeping man, I immediately flee away from death with a pale face. Running without turning back.