6: House of Gold

Being with her fiance made her smile, giddy and elated. A feeling that she craved for more just like some kind of drug. It made her forget the sadness, loneliness, and especially grief of losing Haisley.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

The clackety-clack of horses' hooves on the cobbled street provided a somewhat soothing sound in the background to the changing scenery outside the carriage window.

As the sun rose, the street became more crowded with people going about their daily activities. Some were in a hurry to get to work or complete their morning errands as quickly as possible, while others were strolling and enjoying the new day.

I scooted a little closer by the window with wide eyes while the carriage went further down the street. It had been a while since I went out of the palace.

"Lady Elaine, we're nearing the orphanage," Ruiz, the knight disguised as a hard-working coachman, announced.

When I informed Lucas this morning that I wanted to visit the boy at the orphanage, he immediately provided me with a carriage and assigned a few knights, after informing the king of course.

According to Lucas, the boy had suffered abuse at the hands of his father and begged not to be taken back home, which was why they brought him to an orphanage.

As the carriage rolled to a stop, cheerful voices could be heard as children played in an open area beside the orphanage. It looked like a normal orphanage at first glance, there was nothing suspicious about it.

But the cheerful screams and laughter were abruptly interrupted by the sound of an angry shout.

"So this is where you've been hiding?!" A man was gripping a small boy's arm with one hand while clutching a bottle of alcohol in the other. "You ungrateful brat!"

Without a second thought, I leaped out of the carriage, ignoring Ruiz's concerned call as I approached the pair at a quick pace.

"Hey ass-I mean, excuse me!" I called out, quickly correcting myself. Even though I was disguised as the daughter of a wealthy merchant, it's not yet time for my inner barbarian to be exposed. The knights accompanying me would rat me out on how foul-mouthed I was to the captain, Lucas, who would eventually inform Edmund. And surely it will reach the news to Haisley's ears and likely cry to me while giving my punishment.

I could already see the scene unfolding. "Oh princess, how could you speak of those words? Did I not tell you to not use such language? Have I failed to raise you as your guardian? Where did I go wrong? Oh Queen Selene, I've brought you shame! Princess, please hold your tongue properly. I'll stop purchasing your chocolates and instruct Sir Bismarck not to give you also until you fully reflect on your actions."

"Nyot mai nyoholate!"

Fuck.

It's Haisley I should be afraid and not Edmund.

As the sudden predicament had dawned upon me, I slowed my pace. I locked eyes with the boy, who refused to get dragged by the drunken man. He was adorably cute with white hair and large bluish-grey eyes. The boy had the successfully broke free from the grip and ran towards my direction, almost stumbling in the process. Tears fell down to his cheeks but instead of fear, his eyes glistened in joy and relief.

"Get back here, you damn brat!" The drunken man bellowed, causing the children flinched in fright.

The shorter boy tackled me into a hug nearly making me lose my balance. He then tilted his head looking at me with wide teary eyes.