12: Heart of Glass

The second princess was described as a delicate flower under the summer sun. Her smile was carefree and infectious making everyone around her lighten up.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

I drank my third cup of tea. The very same tea that Lucas gave me on my birthday.

As I continuously consume a large amount of lemon mint tea, it slowly relieves the abdominal pain I felt the moment I welcomed the two visitors a while ago.

"I'm glad that you liked the tea I gave you, princess." Lucas, suspect number 1, gave a wide grin.

"Ah yes. I'm afraid that I'll empty the tea caddy in no time."

"But princess, are you alright? You seem kind of pale." Suspect number 2 has black hair and blue eyes. Seated next to Lucas, he looked rather weak with his smaller figure under his winter garb. Nonetheless, is still attractive looking like the captain. "Is it because of the tea?"

I couldn't help but be wary as to why a royal adviser went all the way here.

"Hey hey, why would the tea cause Princess Elaine's paleness? Especially since it's a gift from me."

"Exactly. It's from you. Who knows where you bought it or what you put it with? Remember the laxative you put on the king's drink just so you could meet the woman you liked, who only agreed to see you because you had the same eyes as her dead fiance?"

I was not sure what I should feel first: fear of this tea, fear for Lucas's well-being, because who in their right mind would do that to the king, or just pity?

The captain looked at his companion, baffled. "You—How can you remember such things way way back but can't even remember his wife's favorite fruit?"

"It's not like I forgot. She just..she likes plenty of fruits alright, also, it differs every season," Mykel defended himself.

"Sure... If that helps you sleep at night." Lucas shrugged, then mumbled loudly, "Must be a pain to be your partner... Oh no, princess, please do not look at us like that."

Mykel clears his throat. "I apologize for letting you witness something unsightly."

"No, that's fine. But, uhm.. Lucas, how did you survive after pulling that on his majesty?"

How are you even alive?

Lucas looked away, refusing to speak.

"His Majesty didn't know," Mykel answered.

"His Majesty..didn't know," I echoed in disbelief.

"..."

A heavy silence fell between us while Lucas continued to avoid eye contact.

Mykel clears his throat again. "We seem to get sidetracked. The purpose of my visit is because of Prince Aiden and you."

My body immediately stiffened.

"There's nothing to worry about, princess. It's nothing like what you're thinking." Free from guilt now that we're on a different topic, Lucas spoke with his signature carefree smile. "And the tea is perfectly safe."

It doesn't sound reassuring at all. I try to ignore the curl of unease in my stomach and refuse to acknowledge the tea for the time being.

"But princess, you didn't tell me that you and the prince are close," the captain continued, looking at me in a disheartened way as if I had betrayed him.

"The crown prince also did not speak of the princess to anyone," Mykel said, giving me an intrigued look. "I was surprised when the news came to me that the prince after arriving was looking for his sister in the Emerald Palace and went to the Garnet Palace in fury."

Aiden must have assumed that I had already moved to that place.

"The Emerald Palace was in an uproar." Lucas chuckled, finding it funny. "Even the king himself was confused as to why his only son was looking for the princess first rather than greeting his father."

Aiden had disregarded the king because of me... The cup clattered against the saucer as I tried to take a sip. Anxiety slowly creeps back as my mind focuses on the impending doom.

I.. I'm—

Oh, dear Ciana.

That's why the Royal Adviser is here, he'll announce my—

"Princess," Lucas called me, cutting my thoughts short. I must have been too pale from the captain's perspective. His eyebrows furrowed in worry. "Are you thinking that Mykel's here to announce your punishment?"

"Punishment?" Mykel gave an incredulous look. "Why would I punish you, your highness? If there's someone who is to be punished, it's Lucas." He then turned and pointedly looked at Lucas. "Just what did you feed his majesty that he let you live until now?"

Once again, Lucas was baffled, rendering him speechless for a couple of seconds. "I would never gamble my life after that. I just got lucky that time because of the late Queen. I wouldn't spike my king's food... again–" He fell silent and seemed preoccupied, eyes staring afar as if he were remembering things.

The royal adviser shook his head, leaving Lucas to his thoughts. "Anyway, princess, I'm not here to announce your punishment because there's none to begin with. I am here to assess your academics."

Distracted by these two, I found myself somewhat calm. "What about my academics, Sir Cree?"

"You see, when Prince Aiden got hold of his majesty's approval with your wish to practice dance with him, the prince immediately asked his majesty that you also attend his other lessons as his reward from the camp. Of course, you can refuse the lessons that I deem necessary for you to take."

I really want to back out. He did say I could refuse any lesson, what if I refuse everything even the dance?

Bu-but what's this wish? When did I say that I wish to learn dance with the prince? Who relayed this nonsense to the king? Was it Haisley? Lucas? Sir Cree?

If I backed out right now, the king would undoubtedly think that I am not sincere, taking his generosity for granted. Aiden, his son will also be upset.

I could already feel the icy glare of the king which I suddenly had the urge to hide beneath the table.

"Therefore I must first evaluate your knowledge and skills in order to choose which class you will be in with the prince. Your brother informed us that you were already able to read and write."

I don't want to. I don't want to. I don't want to die.

I nodded slowly, staring down at my empty cup. "I—Yes. I will give you my full cooperation so I can see my brother smile."

Mykel nodded, satisfied with my answer. He must have thought how good sister I was. For the sake of Aiden's smile.

No. It's for the sake of my own survival.

The assessment went smoothly. The result may have exceeded Mykel's expectation that he's enthusiastically nodding.

"And princess.." I look up at Lucas who stood up, ready to leave. "Please don't tell anyone about that."

"Where."

"Where?"

"Where should we bury you? Just in case."

Lucas took a sharp intake of breath and said wryly, "Princess, please don't say that. It might come true. I haven't even married yet."

"My dear friend, you'll never have a wife. Remember that fortune teller at the Winter Carnaval years ago?"

"You and your memory. How can you recall useless things and not those things that won't make your wife bite your head off? And that old seer is fake." Lucas quickly covered Mykel's mouth, ignoring the glare from the latter, and slowly moved towards the door dragging Mykel. "We'll see you again, princess. Goodbye!"