1: Heart of Glass

Once upon a time, two princesses were born in the Kingdom of Luville. A princess made from love and a princess made from a mistake.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Over the large windows, the vast sky was like a canvas beautifully painted with pinks, purples, and yellows. Dawn is slowly approaching as another morning came. Soon sunlight enters and fills the room, giving color and warmth.

I released a sigh but it came as a yawn. Another morning.

That day, after falling asleep I woke up in an unfamiliar room.

It took me quite a while to accept the reality of what I have become. A baby. A mortal child to be exact.

I was once a Holy Maiden under the Goddess of Light, Cianna. And my gut tells me that she's behind all this.

Cianna is a peculiar goddess. All the years that I was with her she never once did her job as a holy being seriously, leaving all the work to her servants: the Holy Maidens. She would go to another world called Earth, having some sort of adventure and discovery.

Was I given a mission? If so, why did she make me a baby?

I raised my hand so I could see these small chubby fingers of mine. I no longer feel the magic within me.

Haisley entered the room after knocking and greeted me with a smile, "Good morning, princess." She then gingerly carried me out of my crib and placed me in the high chair where breakfast awaits.

At first, I thought that Haisley was the mother of the child I'm using since she's the only one I always see every day. From the gossiping maids, the mother of this child died after giving birth. Among all the servants Haisley was the only one who smiles genuinely at me and sometimes smiles as if she'll burst into tears, while all of them looked at me with pity.

"Princess, do you know what day is today?" Haisley asked as she feeds me.

I stared at her while munching the soft food then tilted my head in question.

"Today is your 3rd birthday," she said smiling. "Happy birthday, princess!"

I turned to look outside the window. I've been here for three years. Another day. Another birthday.

"Princess?" Haisley called. I turned back to her, thinking she's going to feed me I open my mouth. "Do you want to go outside?"

My eyes slightly widened. "Outside?"

Haisley looked a bit surprised at my reaction. I mean I couldn't blame her, I seldom speak or cry. I only sleep, think, eat, overthink, nap, stare at anything while deeply thinking, and work my muscle by playing.

Aside from basking in the sun on the balcony, I never went outside the room.

"Yes, your highness. Let's visit the garden after you finish your meal."

And so we did. Haisley carried me out of the room and out of the palace.

For a palace garden it looked ordinary, nothing special but it's something for me to appreciate. It wasn't highly maintained but it's clean. The vibrant green color of leaves and pop of red, yellow, and white flowers here and there filled my eyes.

Haisley lowers me to the ground until the grass was beneath my shoes. It would be great if I could feel the grass with my bare feet.

Suddenly a maid called Haisley in a panic asking for help. " Stay here, princess. I'll be quick and come back."